UUID appended to a student's submission

Jump to solution
ScottGray2
Community Novice

When a student uploads a revised file for the same assignment, Canvas will append a -# to the file name. For example, if my student uploads index.html and then reuploads a modified version, Canvas will title the file index-2.html.

For one of my students, instead of adding a number, it appends a UUID. So, instead of index-2.html, it will be named something like index-6b245ad5-5911-4ff8-9099-ce082a3d9fc0.html.

Two questions that I have are:

1. What is causing my one student to have a UUID appended to their submissions? They are not doing it.
  2. Is there a way to stop Canvas from appending the -# onto the end of resubmitted assignments?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Likes
1 Solution
cstrikwerda
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @ScottGray2 

Thanks for posting in the Community!

I tested this and was seeing that Canvas will add a -# upon submission if the file is the same name as a previously submitted file. This is because Canvas cannot differentiate between the two files if they are the same name, so it will append the -# when submitted. I cannot see a way around this function.

However if you are seeing something strange with your students submission being given a different ID upon submission and we think Canvas is doing that, please reach out to Canvas Support and they should be able to assist further. How do I contact Canvas Support?

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post