cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ibphysicsteach
Community Participant

Undo re-ordering of assignments

Jump to solution

I had my assignments in a good order (basically reverse chronological, without regard to type) and then accidentally re-sorted them reverse chronological (which groups all quizzes together first, then other assignments).  Is there an undo function for this kind of mistake?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

It seems the problem is, when assignments have multiple due dates--as many of mine do, since I teach multiple sections on different days--the sort by due date doesn't work.  I've asked Canvas if they can add a feature to sort by the LATEST due date for each assignment.  

View solution in original post

8 Replies
bowmanr
Community Champion

@ibphysicsteach 

in the gradebook, click on View, arrange by and select the option that you want.  I am assuming that the option you want is there (or hope that it is)

here is a document showing the details:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-arrange-columns-in-the-Gradebook/ta-p/1...

bowmanr_0-1620245932302.png

There are a few more options that I cut off to avoid showing any of my gradebook.

ibphysicsteach
Community Participant

The trouble is, Due Date-newest to oldest, which sounds promising, seems to put all the quizzes first, then all the other assignments.  That's not what I want.

@ibphysicsteach 

I reread your original post after your reply, and I see that I misunderstood exactly what you were saying.

I know that default shows the grade book in the order of the assignment groups - which is what you are seeing as well as the chronological order.  You would think that selecting chronological order would over-ride the grouping feature.

You could try setting the default view.  Then selecting the chronological order you want. I doubt it will work, but it is an easy check - of course you may have already done that.

In the reply I sent, I had the link to the canvas document.  In it there is a mention of filters(which I knew about but did not think could be affecting your result).

Here is the document: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-filter-columns-and-rows-in-the-Gradeboo...

I just checked my gradebook and filters is not the issue.  Also, When I select the chronological order, my assignments and quizzes are intermixed.  So, I do not see your issue.

ibphysicsteach
Community Participant

That's interesting that you don't have the same issue.  I played with the filters and see I can add a filter for assignment groups, which might be useful, but doesn't relate to the sorting problem.  Now that I look again, my assignments are sorted in a hodge-podge of groups, generally in reverse chronological order, but with a few quizzes, then a few imported assignments, then a few more quizzes, then the rest of the imported assignments.  Very frustrating.

@ibphysicsteach 

Sounds like you need to contact your school Canvas Admins (if you are not one) and then possibly put in a ticket with Canvas for an issue.  There is something we are missing - maybe they can figure it out.

Ron

ibphysicsteach
Community Participant

I did contact Canvas tech support--which maybe should have been my first resort, but I forgot about them--and they are looking into it.

It seems the problem is, when assignments have multiple due dates--as many of mine do, since I teach multiple sections on different days--the sort by due date doesn't work.  I've asked Canvas if they can add a feature to sort by the LATEST due date for each assignment.  

View solution in original post

@ibphysicsteach 

Well that is good information to know.  In my case the course I looked at did not have assignments with multiple due dates.  You would think they could just take the due date of the first one posted and use it.