Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
george_young

Unsure on how to make admin account

Jump to solution

Hello, I am creating an application to help students organize their time for studying.  I am trying to use the canvas api to get the assignments of the students and I am unsure how to make an admin account so I can get a developer key to use the Canvas API.

1 Solution
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi George,

In order to gain admin access to Canvas, you will need to seek the authorization of the administration at UC Boulder or another entity who has contracted with Instructure to have their own instance of Canvas.  There is not a method by which you can gain admin access to the free version of Canvas.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi George,

In order to gain admin access to Canvas, you will need to seek the authorization of the administration at UC Boulder or another entity who has contracted with Instructure to have their own instance of Canvas.  There is not a method by which you can gain admin access to the free version of Canvas.

Ok I was looking for this application to work with any Canvas student who downloads it and grants us access.  I was looking into Canvas partners.  Do you think this would be the place to get this type of access?

0 Kudos

Hi George,

Non-siteadmin users (students, teachers) do have access to their own shared key (in the user profile settings I believe) so it is possible to make apps where the student puts their own key into the app to interact with calendars, etc.  Your university might also grant you access to a sub-account in Canvas (possibly?).  You might try working via a faculty advisor on that angle.

0 Kudos

I was looking for this application to work for students who do not just attend my university but any university that uses Canvas.

0 Kudos

I remember a few years ago, someone building an app similar to what you are describing.  It was being adopted by students at multiple institutions but then there was a privacy issue with how it stored or recorded student data and it got pulled from the Apple app store

0 Kudos

Would the Canvas partners program the method to get access to the dev key?

0 Kudos

Hi George,

You can try emailing partnerships@instructure.com and explaining your intentions.  I don't know if they have a way to fulfill the request but it can't hurt to ask.

Ok, thank you.  I was reading the documentation on developer keys and it says there is a way to get a global developer key but does not state how to reach out to receive one.

0 Kudos