What happens to deleted files in a folder and deleted messages in inbox?

Jump to solution
AA123
Community Member

Hi

Regarding deleted files and inbox mails and what happens to them. 

My group and I have an assignment that we have to upload our draft assignment once a week just for instructor too observe the progress. As we upload our files individually we replace our old documents with new ones and we delete the old ones since they are old and not updated. 

We are a little nervous since we have deleted the old files, and we thought afterward that maybe the instructor has access to them. 

In addition, we have experienced that we have sent an email by accident in the *message inbox' under the specific course. 

Our questions are: 

What happens to the deleted files- and emails ? Are they completely gone or does the instructor have access to them (files and emails) even though we have deleted them both?

Hope to get a answer 🙂 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
igustafson
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @AA123 ,

I will be happy to help answer this. With how inbox currently works if you were to delete messages in the inbox there is no way of restoring them but if you have submitted them to an assignment you could have your teacher send you a downloaded copy if needed as they can download the submissions for you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
cstrikwerda
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @aa 
Thanks for posting in the community.
If something is deleted from your Files in your account, they are deleted and we are unable to recover them. The same goes for conversation messages as well that have been deleted from the Inbox. However, if a message is deleted from an Inbox, it will not remove the message from the recipients Inbox. In this case, we could try and ask any recipients if they have a copy of a message that was deleted.

For teachers or anything that has been uploaded to a course this is different. Files that are uploaded to a Course and deleted are sometimes able to be recovered. However, this would be from a teachers role. If you have deleted Files or Inbox messages from your account, those would be unable to be recovered unfortunately.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Likes