What is the default font in the WYSIWYG editor in Canvas?

Jump to solution
MikeWeston
Community Novice

I pasted some content into a canvas page, the new text was in a different font, now I can't figure out how to set it to the same font as the rest of the text that was already on the page.  It's not Lato.  Do I need to go through all 20+ fonts on a trial and error basis to find which font the rest of the page is using?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @MikeWeston ...

I had to do some checking with Instructure staff on this.  While there doesn't seem to be a Guide that indicates what the default font is in the Rich Content Editor, there is a Release Notes document that describes that the Lato font is the default:

Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-12-10) - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Specifically, check out this section: Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-12-10) - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com) -- User Interfa...

When you say that you pasted in some text from another source, what source was that?  Were you copying text from a Microsoft Word document, for example?  Sometimes when pasting text from another source, you can get a lot of unwanted HTML code (I refer to this as "rogue" code).  Sometimes, this also includes HTML font elements that are unwanted.  Are you wanting things to display in Lato font (the default)?  You could try running your page through an online HTML cleaner if this is what you are wanting.  A long time ago, I wrote a short blog on the subject:

HTML Cleanup

If you could provide a bit more detail on what you are trying to do, I think that would be helpful.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

View solution in original post

0 Likes