Why Embedded Audio Player needs to look like a video?

Jump to solution
themidiman
Community Champion

My usual community forum presence is in the Canvas Developers group. I'm also planning on asking our CSM about this, but I'm curious to know from the general community why a simple audio playback interface is not available when inserting media that is 100% audio only, yet the playback interface makes it look like a video. Simple HTML5 audio player varies between browsers, so I suppose it could be just trying to make it consistent for all users regardless of browsers. A few months ago lately the media playback interface has been updated such that all media is minimized by default (like it would be for a DocViewer supported file), and then when clicked on it expands/maximizes to a ginormous size that takes up way too much screen real estate needed for a simple audio player.

Prior to June of 2024:
MediaPlayerPriorJune2024.png
MediaPlayerPriorJune2024Maximized.png

When copied to a new shell it's 'reduced' to this interface:

MediaPlayerPostJune2024.png

While it doesn't expand when the play button is clicked, it still seems like it could look more like a simple audio player with no need for a visual area (i.e. for video). Here's the simple version that appears for a HTML5 audio element for Chromium/Edge/Chrome:

HTML5AudioElement.png

In short, the current media playback player seems like could have additional options for course designers to make better use of the screen real estate, such as the case for foreign language courses. We're already seeing some poor performance of pages loading multiple instances of the playback engine and failing to display them all. For example, here's one for embedded videos for an ASL course:

ASL_OldPlayerPriortoJune2024.png

When copied forward to a new course shell it breaks further down the page:

ASL_NewPlayerFailedLoading.png

I've got a few tickets raised with Support about this because I'm curious what the community thinks and also worried about what Instructors returning for Fall 2024 will notice different about their content when they set up their courses using their Spring 2024 course shells as the source to copy from.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Oh, I do have one thought about your last question (more from Kaltura-land than Canvas specifically though).  The reason a video player may have been chosen, if it was intentional, is for accessibility reasons.  With most audio players, there is no space for captions to display, which is a problem for users that require captions.  We had to make this very decision recently when upgrading our Kaltura players.  We could choose a small audio-only player, but lost captions (they now have a popout transcript available, but it's still not perfect).  We chose to have audio playback in a video player just like what's happening for you now to make sure accessibility concerns were met.

The behavior in Canvas may be totally unrealted to this, but I did think it would be worth sharing with you.

-Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes