Why does the student login page ask for a email, when in reality you sign in with a username?

Jump to solution
JohnBogarin
Community Member

I have been trying to sign into an account I made to access a course code for a class I'm taking and EVERY time I tried to sign in, I was given a "wrong username/password" error. The sign-in page specifically gives  you a "Email" text box, followed by a "Password" text box to enter your information.

Given this information, one would assume you would enter a email/password combination to successfully login to your account. Well, it's not. Instead, after an hour of trial an error, I tried a username/password combo and WOW it works.

If in reality you need to login with your username and password. Why wouldn't the login page have a "Username" text box, followed by a "Password" text box to enter your information instead? It's poorly designed and points you in the wrong direction for no reason. Excuse my frustration, it just wasted time is all.

0 Likes
1 Solution
bneporadny
Community Champion

Hi JohnBogarin,

Email is the Canvas default. Canvas does allow for Canvas Admins to change the verbiage. Here is the link to how this is done. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Admin-Guide/How-do-I-configure-SSO-settings-for-my-authentication... 

View solution in original post