Why doesn't replying to a graded discussion count as a submission? and Bug Reports: Wrong Submission Timestamp

WarrenTrinh
Community Member

I replied to a graded discussion from the discussion page, fully answering the discussion, and it didn't count as a submission even though I saw my post in the assignment preview. However, the instructor wasn't able to see this same post as a preview from this page. I reposted it months later to submit it, but it used the original timestamp as the submission date, even though it wasn't originally counted as submitted (This is actually a bug). If I created a reply on August 1 and submitted another reply on October 30, it would say I submitted on August 1. What should happen is that either 1. creating an original post in the graded discussion should automatically bring up a modal that asks if the user wants to submit to the assignment, so that their contribution to the discussion can be graded or 2. the assignment preview should not show posts that were not counted as submissions in the graded discussion assignment and should not use the original post's timestamp as the submission date when actually submitting the graded discussion.

User Role: Student

Steps to reproduce:

1. Reply to a graded discussion from the discussion page, not using the submit button from the assignment page

2. See that the Submit button is still on the Canvas assignment linked to the graded discussion, but the reply shows up in the assignment (But the instructor cannot see this reply from the assignment when grading)

3. Wait at least a minute so that the timestamp can change.

4. Submit a new post to the Canvas discussion from the assignment page

5. The first post's timestamp is used as the submission date, despite not being a submission

Note: My institution does not have the Report a Problem feature in the Canvas Help Menu

Weird bug in this forum: Even though it says that invalid HTML has been removed from my post, when I try to post, it doesn't let me and gives the same message, that invalid HTML was removed (but if it was already removed in previous post attempts, why does it still infinitely give this message?). I have to go into PREVIEW to be able to post in this forum and I don't have to correct anything.

Labels (1)
0 Likes