any thoughts to add over 200 groups for a project?

Jump to solution
MorganWoolf
Community Member

Hello ! 

I'm a Teacher's Aid for a fairly large class (510 students). the students need to pair up and write a final assignment together, which they will be uploading through Canvas. rather than manually inputting the grades on the assignment of each student, we are trying to create two-person groups (255 in total) to eliminate the redundancy of grading each student. due to the Canvas group number limitation, we are unable to add enough groups to represent our class size. 

any thoughts on how to add enough groups to get to 255? we've attempted creating two group sets - but ran into an obstacle when it came to attaching both groupsets to the same assignment. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
blopes
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @MorganWoolf 

Unfortunately, we do have that limit for 200 groups. I would advise you to create a feature request for an increase in those groups. 

How do I create a new idea conversation in the Instructure Community? 

You could create two separate group sets, create two assignments and assign each assignment to the specific groups that will do it so that each group will only see one of the assignments instead of both. However, that will be a lot of work to assign the assignments to the 255 groups as you would have to manually select each one. 

I would suggest if possible, instead of creating groups of 2, to create groups of 3, so you would have fewer groups to create. 

I hope this gives you more information about what you are looking for. Have a great day!

View solution in original post

There never seems to be any possibility that Instructure will actually fix or modify anything.  It seems to be "Canvas' way or the highway."  😐

View solution in original post