attendance

Jump to solution
LisaPapenfus
Community Explorer

Hello! I am teaching a course that allows students three unexcused absences. After the third absence, they lose 5% of their overall grade for each additional unexcused absence. Meaning four unexcused absences would result in a loss of 5% overall, five unexcused absences would result in a loss of 10% overall, etc. When I entered attendance today, the Roll Call Attendance assignment was automatically created. But I don't know how to create these rules for more than three unexcused absences and the deduction to their final grade. I also allow one tardy, and each additional tardy counts as an absence. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Lisa

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

I have found the Canvas "Attendance" tool pretty much unusable for me. I teach remote synchronous classes, and I just take roll on paper,  I don't think there's a way to even specify that I want to take attendance only on the days my classes meet (i.e., Mondays and Wednesdays).

Canvas is not going to give you a way to set up your attendance policy. I wouldn't even bother.

View solution in original post

chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @LisaPapenfus,

I agree with @SusanNiemeyer.. The Roll Call Attendance tool is okay if you have a very basic attendance policy (no number of excused absences, late counts the same for everyone, grade is based on the percentage of classes attended, etc).  The tool is not currently going to be able to do what you'd like in terms of the grading, though you could still use it just to track the attendance.  You'd have to do the grading manually, which I realize it not ideal.

-Chris

View solution in original post