Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions in Canvas Question Forum. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

Filter by Label:

On a Canvas "Page," how do you format, align, etc., an "image" with text on a page? I've tried using a Table on the page (e.g., image in left cell and text on right cell in one row) but I can't seem to control the size of each cell (I want the image ...

• 2 Likes
  • 6 Replies

Can the TA role in Canvas create and moderate a Conference? We are thinking of using this tool for an embedded tutor.  Anyone have any luck doing this?

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

I have been running manual XML based batches from the Banner LMB integration for the past few years and I have been getting similar errors to this:import file: courses.csv, error message: unknown abstract course id CCRSRELS-4230, ignoring abstract co...

• 2 Likes
  • 1 Replies

I am currently trying to setup grading from the OneNote LTI to my Canvas courses so that I can grade from within the OneNote. I have created the notebook and the students are added and linked the notebooks following the direction given. The assignmen...

• 7 Likes
  • 18 Replies

We are looking at manually running our users SIS import process in batch mode once a year to keep our user's list cleaned up. I began testing this in our test instance using a blank users.csv file to make sure this type of process would not have an a...

• 2 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Age old question, I know. But how do you get the folks who may be teaching at two or three schools ,or have another full time job, or have many other life obligations to do great things with Canvas?

• 10 Likes
  • 7 Replies

In Canvas, once there are a self-organized group been created, the Student Groups will be created. the Student Groups tab will then stay in the People page forever.I can not find a way to remove it even there are no more groups inside.Can anybody sho...

Community Explorer
Canvas Question Forum
  • 5 Likes
  • 12 Replies

I like to use some quizzes as a way for the students to self-access subject knowledge by allowing them multiple attempts.  My theory being that they can then focus study time on weak areas.  It appears that Canvas will only allow me to show all the r...

• 2 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Hello All. We are adopting Canvas this semester and as such deciding what is the best structure for accounts and sub-accounts. I would love to hear how other Campuses organize their accounts and sub-accounts. To further complicate matters we are a mu...

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hi - I am new to Canvas and have a questions. Our SIS is Blackbaud's Education Edge. Class enrollments are updated all the time with students dropping a class and adding another class. Adding the class enrollment is easy with a SIS import. Is there a...

• 1 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Can we create due dates based on the day a student accepts the class in Canvas?  So a student starts a class on Wednesday.  I add him/her to the class, they accept the course, and from that date it calculates the due dates.  So for example maybe the ...

• 5 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Has anyone found a good way to be able to view only active courses? We are struggling with massive course listings and cross-listed sections. We would like to be able to conclude the courses that have the section cross-listed, get them out of our lis...

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 Replies

I want to create a course where teachers can add content to the course (like documents and google forms and slide decks etc) but still move through a module or two as a student. What is the best way to accomplish both pieces?

• 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Is the most recent assessment point used in the decaying average outcome calculation type the assignment with the most recent due date, or is it based on when the assignment was actually graded? I'm guessing it's based on the due date, otherwise stud...

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 3 Likes
  • 9 Replies

We are exploring ways to issue automated certificates for satisfactory completion of training courses through Canvas. This would be for courses residing outside of Catalog courses in Canvas.Has anyone discovered a workable solution?

• 8 Likes
  • 5 Replies

It seems the new Help Menu has gone to Prod.  Anyone have suggestions for improving it?  I've specifically gotten complaints about the fact that it opens in the same window instead of opening a new tab/window.

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 13 Likes
  • 26 Replies

I had instructor give a quiz.  There are a total of 21 students in the class, and all 21 took a quiz last week.  When I click on Quiz Statistics, the Quiz Summary only shows 15 respondents and their coordinating responses.  The instructor allowed two...

• 3 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Opening PDF files-  I don't want students to have to download a pdf file to view.  I want it to simply open.  How do I do this?

• 3 Likes
  • 3 Replies

It would be so helpful to have reporting for permission settings, but at the very least I'd like a button on the permission screen that would extract the current table view, or both course and account table views for the current account, to a spreads...

• 1 Likes
  • 4 Replies

At Instructurecon, I attended a breakout: Outcomes, the good, the bad, the ugly. The UT professors were discussing aligning outcomes through sub-accts. I have been looking for the video to pop up, but haven't seen it yet. I am trying to make this wor...

• 2 Likes
  • 3 Replies

For all you that have the Kaltura LTI tool, do you know if it is possible to turn on playlist creation in My Media or Media Gallery? I have been trying a bunch of different combinations of settings in the KAF but nothing seems to work. I saw here: ht...

• 6 Likes
  • 2 Replies

For the beginning of the new School year, I am assuming all our student forgot their passwords.  Is there a way to globally reset all their passwords?How do other schools handle this?  Our users are already in Canvas--we are not uploading our Schedul...

• 4 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Does Canvas have the message recall feature? Thanks very much.

• 4 Likes
  • 2 Replies

I ran across this article, and thought it would be worth sharing.Personally I use several Chome apps, most relevant to this group might be Postman, or DHC.I found reference to this in several places as a sanity check: Google saying buh-bye to Chrome ...

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 Replies

When a teacher is away they post the work via Canvas. We desire for replacement teachers to be able to view this work, handle any queries and mark attendance.What is the best way to configure this to grant the necessary permissions.

• 2 Likes
  • 12 Replies

I have 30 quizzes in my course. I would like to make a change to all of them. Is there any way to do this?

• 1 Likes
  • 3 Replies

UPDATE - October 7, 2016The majority of issues expressed below have been corrected--though in fact the Feature Option that includes the Sidebar is NO longer listed for administrators.  There are, however, a few lingering issues:Thanks to  @hesspe ​ f...

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 26 Likes
  • 54 Replies

I am trying to create 3rd party app following LTI standard. I am hosing canvas locally on VM. I am using self-signed certificate and set https requests to external tool.I need token in order to make API calls to Canvas.I am stuck at the step 3 of get...

• 4 Likes
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Hi everyone-As you probably know, discussions in Canvas need some love for larger communities of practices - we have the need for discussion forums that can be organized into categories and stay threaded.We looked into using the open source version o...

• 13 Likes
  • 16 Replies