Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions in Canvas Question Forum. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

Filter by Label:

Hi everyone!I'm an instructional designer at Emerson College and am working with faculty to create an online MFA in Creative Writing. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or experience in conducting online writing workshops. In the face to face vers...

• 5 Likes
  • 4 Replies

The original Idea for   was Archived (with 306 votes) as we were asked to separate it out by tool and open individual ideas. Which I did but with less than 15 days to go in the voting period none of them have reached the necessary 100 votes to be con...

• 19 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Hi allIs there a way in which you can allow student groups to share their content (pages, discussions, assignments) with other student groups within a Course.  Allowing for group peer evaluation or student evaluation of other group activity as a lear...

• 1 Likes
  • 2 Replies

We are a high school in Sydney and have recently moved across from a moodle set-up to Canvas. On our moodle site, we had separate sections for overall Year Groups as well - ie, a space for Year Coordinators to communicate with the whole year group re...

• 6 Likes
  • 2 Replies

I'm working on a training course for faculty new to using Canvas at my institution, and I'm trying to come up with examples and pedagogically-sound reasons for choosing each setting in assignments, discussions, and quizzes.One setting I'm struggling ...

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 23 Likes
  • 23 Replies

I use modules and students must complete a module before going to the next module.However, in one case I have a student who was not able to complete module "a" before the due date. This means that the student can not take module "B". I would like to ...

• 7 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Have a faculty member who has clicked Allow Liking for an Announcement - that's it, no allow graders, no sorting.But, no like icon appears for the students.  We've verified that it works for discussions, but does not for Announcements.What are we mis...

• 20 Likes
  • 29 Replies

Hi all,For the past two years I've been revising and updating a course for online faculty called "Teaching Online Effectively" which is designed to teach new faculty how to teach online at our college as well as how to use Canvas and complete the ste...

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Is it possible to have students use a rubric for self-evaluation? I would like to create a rubric and assign it to students to fill in to evaluate their own progress. I haven't been able to find anything that covers this topic in the Canvas guides. T...

• 9 Likes
  • 14 Replies

I'm currently working on a course related to Food Inspections done via Google Glass. The videos are taken and edited - you know, a little magic added to them. We are using the videos in assessing already established inspectors and then using their re...

• 7 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Hi All,My organization (a national non-profit that develops school leaders through professional development programs) is looking to extend the Canvas experience by using LTIs. We would LOVE your feedback regarding the LTIs you have used and your expe...

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 5 Likes
  • 2 Replies

One of our instructors added a JPG image to a quiz that shows as a thumbnail in the question preview, but from a student view is only a link to the file name and must be opened in a new window or downloaded. This defeats the purpose of having an imag...

• 2 Likes
  • 5 Replies

I am looking to use Campus pack on canvas as it offers journals, wikis and blogs that I need to develop for reflective learning/ multi part assessments .Has anyone got any does and dont's re its installation and use in canvas?

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 8 Likes
  • 22 Replies

I increased it from the regular 500 mb to 999 mb and he's already filled that up.  Now what do I do?

Community Participant
Canvas Question Forum
  • 13 Likes
  • 10 Replies

Did you know that there is a limit of 150 wiki pages that can be displayed in the Insert Content into the Page Menu?That means if you have more than 150 wiki pages in a course, the page you are trying to link to may not show up in the Insert Content ...

Community Novice
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 0 Replies

It possible that a number of you will have seen this informational poster originally developed for Moodle (by Joyce Seitzinger, @catspyjamasnz / www.cats-pyjamas.net) and subsequently reworked for other platforms like D2L and Blackboard. We are start...

Community Participant
Canvas Question Forum
  • 22 Likes
  • 17 Replies

When I upload an Excel file the file does not show correctly.  It only shows part of the file and creates additional pages to see the entire Excel document.

• 4 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Is it possible to do this?  See the attachment?  Essentially it is posting a unique link to the NSSE on Canvas to each student that has a Freshman or Senior Standing.  Please see the attachment from NSSE.     We have a deadline to indicate interest b...

• 10 Likes
  • 24 Replies

Hello!In the Chronicle of Higher Education's ProfHacker blog, Anastasia Salter asks: "Do you have any strategies for grading large classes?"She poses "Five Tips" in the blog post. Check them and see if you agree or disagree, or if you can build on th...

Instructure Alumni Instructure Alumni
Canvas Question Forum
  • 6 Likes
  • 2 Replies

I used the iframe instructions found in the search options and it appears to not work with a webpage that I would like to embed into my course.Here is the URL:http://library.wichita.edu/empower/module2/choosingYourTopic.htmWSU EMPOWER: Choosing Your ...

• 5 Likes
  • 13 Replies

Hello. If you are using the Multiple Grading Periods feature, have you found a way to accurately report grades after the first grading period? If so, please tell others how you did it.It appears that Canvas came up with the feature all of K-12 school...

• 13 Likes
  • 14 Replies

Hey all, I'm very new to canvas and I'm looking at ways to add things to the bottom part of the sidebar (the far right). Basically I want to be able to add a javascript chat-with-a-librarian widget that is always available as a place for students to ...

• 5 Likes
  • 5 Replies

What happens if I change the point totals of a completed assignment?  Does this affect scores already put in? Will it cut off scores over the new total value?I would like to lower the "Total" for an assignment from 30 to 25, but many students have go...

• 7 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Hi guys,I'm working on a class and trying to use the accordion tool from the style guide.  Only issue I'm continuously running into is that I can't seem to get rid of the white space that's created automatically after each accordion set in the page.D...

• 5 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Hi everyone!  If I could get some advice, I'm working to completely re-develop a relatively new set of courses within our college that is desperately seeking some help!The courses are in a Positive Organizational Development (POD) program and the ass...

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 8 Likes
  • 6 Replies

The Online Learning Consortium and MERLOT are pleased to announce a new first-ever OLC Innovate 2016: Innovations in Blended and Online Learning. This conference will be held April 20-22, 2016 at the Sheraton New Orleans Hotel in New Orleans, Louisia...

Instructure Alumni Instructure Alumni
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

There is probably a simple answer for this, but I couldn't find it.I want to have a page of LINKS ONLY to external (youtube) videos. Every time I try it, it embeds the video. I don't want to bog the page down, so how would I put a clickable link inst...

• 5 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Hello,I facilitate a campus-wide "Teaching Online Series" for Indiana University. The series focuses on instructional design and best practice within the Canvas LMS. There has been some talk about creating a cohort for all faculty who go through the ...

• 7 Likes
  • 6 Replies

Is there a feature for adding a caption to an image or figure, e.g., Figure 1.3. Distribution of Mr. Pibb machines in Pennsylvania?

• 6 Likes
  • 10 Replies

We are new to Canvas and our teachers are beginning to use it to take online submissions via Assignments. One issue that numerous teachers have emailed me about is that the students are confused by the "Submit Assignment" button. Specifically, they d...

• 10 Likes
  • 14 Replies