browser console - instrument.js

Jump to solution
jhughes_cu
Community Member

We are developing JavaScript for our Canvas theme, and in the course of this development we use the browser console for logging events, methods, objects and so on. Calls to the console.log() method have always resulted in console messages which include the name of the source file and the line number. However, of late we have noticed that ALL console log messages are coming from a file called instrument.js (see attached) - which to a degree negates the purpose of the log method.

This appears to occur only in Canvas sites and in all browsers - to the best of our knowledge instrument.js is not one of our institution's files (although we can't be 100% certain).

Has anyone else come across this issue, do we know if it a Canvas thing, and if it is, can normal service be resumed?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@jhughes_cu -

I did a google search on instrument.js and it came up with several articles - I have no idea about any of it, but I believe the issue you are seeing is an external one.  

here are a couple of the links that may help.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68700519/angular-console-log-source-is-always-instrument-js

https://newrelic.github.io/node-newrelic/docs/tutorial-Instrumentation-Basics.html

the above may be nothing at all related to what you are doing - I just don't know.

View solution in original post

ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @jhughes_cu 

I am not honestly sure why all the console log messages are coming from a file called instrument.js. It does almost appear as if the issue is an external one. I was also not able to find any solid information on why they would be coming from the file called instrument.js. 

It might be best to submit a case to support to see if they know why the console log messages are coming from that file, if you have not already. That does seem a bit odd. 

View solution in original post