dark mode text visibility

Jump to solution
ctdesigns
Community Member

Hey all!

Hope that you are doing well today. We are working on redesigning one of our courses and are having trouble with text being visible in light mode but invisible in dark mode (this is particularly an issue for mobile Canvas users). I've spent some time searching reddit, the greater learning community, and chatting with colleagues, but I haven't landed on a solution yet. I have included examples of the text visibility issues to this post. If any more information is needed, please do let me know, and I'll be happy to update with it.

Thanks kindly,

ct

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi @ctdesigns,

Thanks for the code.  I believe this is what I suspected, where you're defining background colors that just don't get interpreted for dark mode, and cause Canvas to display white text on a white/light background.

The footer section, where you explicitly define both the background (style="background-color: #f5f5f5) and font color (style="font-size: 14pt; color: black;") does display okay for me in dark mode, it's all of the other areas where just the background color is defined that become problematic.

The following solutions should work:

1. Remove all background and text color definitions.  This will let dark mode work as intended, where the background will be dark and text will be white.  I know this does interfere a bit with the visual design elements you're achieving with the different background colors though...
  2. Explicitly define the text color as black in for all of your text areas, like what you already have in your footer.  That (currently) should make it so the font color doesn't get auto-adjusted to white in dark mode.

Do you think either of these options would be workable for you?

-Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes