rubric not available for each essay question in a single exam

Jump to solution
plato
Community Member

I created a midterm exam consisting of two essay questions. I attached a rubric, assuming that the rubric would be available for each question separately, as in Blackboard.

But it turns out only one rubric is available for both questions together. Which is fairly useless, since students want to know how they did on each question, and I have to grade each question separately.

My workaround is to open the comment box under each criterion, indicate the question number, and score each criterion according to half the range of the rubric score range. Then add the two and put that total in the rubric total. That way students can see how they did on each question.

But what a headache!  Seems like a major oversight by Canvas. Or am I missing something?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @plato ...

Only one rubric can be attached to an entire Classic Quiz in Canvas.  While I know that some instructors like to attach a rubric to quizzes, it can also be a bit confusing.  In my former position as a Canvas administrator, I can recall a handful of times where I was creating a Classic Quiz for an instructor that also included a rubric.  The possible points for the quiz were, for example, 20 points (20 questions at 1 point each).  But then, the rubric total had a completely different set of ratings that did not total 20 points.  And, to further complicate things, if the quiz totals 20 points and you have a rubric that only totals 10 points, what shows in the Gradebook is a total of 20 points ... not 10 points.  To my knowledge, there isn't a connection between the total of the questions in the quiz compared to the total possible score in the rubric.

To answer your question more directly... a possible solution I *think* I've seen here in the Community is to have a rubric with one row per essay question where each row matches the same number of possible points that are in the essay questions of the quiz.  In reading through your question, I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are doing alright...but it sounds close?

In New Quizzes, you can align Outcomes to quiz questions...including essay questions.  Do you know if you have New Quizzes available to you yet at your school?  If not, you might want to have a conversation with your school's Canvas administrator to see what their plan is for enabling New Quizzes.  I'm not sure if Outcomes would be a solution for your needs, but it might be worth looking into: How do I align an outcome to a quiz question in Ne... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).

View solution in original post

0 Likes