texting Canvas invites?

Jump to solution
bechaela
Community Novice

Hi, I wondered if it's possible to send out invitations to learners to join Canvas via text?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi  @bechaela .  I communicated with a few other coaches to get their insight as well.  The issue I saw was that I was not aware of a way to create a Canvas account without an email address.  When using the free version of Canvas, we have contacted students and asked them to create an account themselves if we didn't have the information needed, but signing up for an account requires an email address.  We have even given them a self-registration code for the course but when they attempt to enter the course for the first time they need to set up an account, again with an email address. In our paid account, IT generates accounts for the students but the email address is still necessary.  The other coaches I spoke to indicated they also thought an email address was needed to set up an account.

So, what you are trying to do with individuals who have never used Canvas and don't have an email address may be very difficult (or impossible).  If you have a cell number for the individual, you may be able to text them and ask them to set up an email account through any of the regular provides (Gmail, etc.) and use this to generate an account for the individual.

Your best option may be to contact Support directly (see How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?) and speak with an agent about your situation.  A support agent may have an idea we have not considered or be able to give thoughts on advantages or disadvantages of any of the options out there based on your particular needs.

I wish I had a simple solution and could give you a step-by-step guide, but the "no email address" part is a challenge.

View solution in original post

0 Likes