too_long error message when copy and pasting in a page

Jump to solution
jfrugaletti
Community Member

Each week I copy and paste a previous agenda onto the top of the same page (so I have one page with a running list of agendas.)  Often, I get an error message of "too_long" and the page will not save. After researching possible issues here in the Community, I found a couple replies that indicated it had to do with posting images. I have since removed all images, but I still get the message.  I also chatted with a Canvas help person to specifically ask if there was a maximum file size for a page, or max length - to which he replied there was no max.  

Any ideas how to stop this from happening??

0 Likes
1 Solution
JeffW
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @jfrugaletti 

I am sorry to hear you are still looking for an answer. There actually are some limitations depending on what kind of content you are working with in Canvas. What you may be running in to is a character limit. Generally this is a very large value for pages, a lot of HTML can take up that space. This can be things like <span> and <div> tags. I would advise checking the HTML view to see what it looks like. If you have tables and such that can really add on to the character count. 

Check out the limits here - https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Resource-Documents/Canvas-Character-Limits/ta-p/529365

View solution in original post

0 Likes