Rolling Enrollment vs. Pre-Populated Dates

Jump to solution
angelah
Community Explorer

Currently testing the capabilities of Course Pacing in my Sandbox.

The course Term is set to FY2023 and dates have been set at the admin level to indicate July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023. Participation is set to Course. 

When entering Course Pacing from the Module page, the start and end dates listed above are already populated. I am trying to set up pacing for a new part time student who (hypothetically) started class today. It appears that due dates are calculated by the course start date, not the date a student first accesses the course. Is this correct? How does this work for rolling start dates as advertised?

1 Solution
AllisonHowell
Instructure
Instructure

@Ange A student's pace begins on their "effective start date." In the case of Course Pacing that means:

1. On the explicitly set enrollment start date (configurable in the API and via SIS Import) OR
  2. The most recent of enrollment creation date, section date, course date, and term date

When a student is added via People their enrollment creation date is when they are invited not when the invite is accepted.

The due dates should start from when a student is enrolled as you expected, and dates compress to fit into the course end date, if necessary. 

This can be a little confusing to talk about, so please let me know if this isn't helpful or if I've misunderstood your question! 

View solution in original post