cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leward
Community Contributor

Ability to expand/collapse all replies

Jump to solution

Hello.  We are very excited about the plans for the redesigned Discussions tool.  Many of the features listed are ones that our faculty have needed for a long time, so THANK YOU.  Today, I am writing with some feedback on the Beta Release of the redesign.  Thus far,  the users with whom we have shared the redesign have been mostly positive about the changes.  However, there is one change that was not well-received.  It is no longer possible to expose all replies with a single click.  Collapsing the replies under a link is a great new feature, but users are accustomed to and may prefer to see all replies when reading or catching up on a topic.  It would be very helpful if there were a widget that allowed a user to expand or collapse all replies.  

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katrina-Hess
Instructure
Instructure

Hi everyone, we are considering the expand all feature and will keep you all posted.

Thanks, Katrina

View solution in original post

10 Replies
sylvia_sotomayo
Community Participant

Yes. I like that replies are collapsible, but I dislike that replies default to collapsed. It seems to me it would make more sense for replies to initially be shown. With unread replies collapsed and unseen, I feel like they may be missed by someone casually scanning.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

I would like a button that expands all.  i.e. one click vs. having to click each to expand one at a time.

AllisonPittler
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks for your feedback @leward @sylvia_sotomayo @Jeff_F ! We will soon release a new approach to interacting with replies. This new flow will modernize the experience and optimize page performance. Stay tuned!

leward
Community Contributor

@AllisonPittler , good to hear changes are coming.  What I didn't hear you say, though, was that the changes will include the ability to expand all replies.  Will that be part of the new UX?

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

I agree, expand/collapse all replies will be helpful to many users' workflows.  I like having them collapsed by default as long as the show unread messages works.

Katrina-Hess
Instructure
Instructure

Hi everyone, we are considering the expand all feature and will keep you all posted.

Thanks, Katrina

View solution in original post

jb67
Community Participant

Just adding that I, too, think it's important to have an option to expand all replies. 

byron_newberry
Community Member

I turned off the beta redesign because not having the ability to expand all replies was doubling or tripling the time it takes me to monitor and interact with class discussions. For example, if I want to quickly scan to see all the replies by a particular student, previously I could search for that person's name in my browser and could instantly jump from post to post. Now I have to manually open the replies to every post one by one trying to find the ones I'm looking for. Also, with the list expanded in line (as opposed to the unwieldy flyout on the side) I can read the entire discussion thread using just the scroll wheel on the mouse and one finger with no other movement. Now, seeing the entire thread takes literally scores, if not hundreds, of clicks and lots of dragging the cursor around from side to side on the screen. I feel like I'm running on an obstacle course rather than on a straight and clear track.

lshulman
Community Participant

<I would like a button that expands all.  i.e. one click vs. having to click each to expand one at a time.>

I  prefer when we get options on the user end. Thus the current set up with old discussions works well: the USER can CHOOSE to expand or collapse all replies in a given discussion or only the replies in a given thread (related to a single "parent" post). I'd vote to keep both options available to the user.