cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lshulman
Community Participant

I now HATE Canvas!

This new discussion redesign was thrown at us literally overnight with no advance notice.

I HATE it!

At least we are able to "disable" the feature and continue using the old discussion format.

However, I now hear that come January 2022, we will no longer have that option. There are so many things wrong with this new structure, I cannot begin to list them all. But at least Canvas should give us more time to get used to this and allow us to choose when or if to "enable" it in our own courses. 

I am tempted to completely eliminate all discussion in my courses if I cannot continue to use the old format.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
nwilson7
Community Champion

@lshulman For what it is worth, you may want to reach out to whoever is your Canvas Administrator for your school/institution.  The new design is still in beta and was not a forced push out by Canvas.  If it is turned on at your institution, your Canvas Administrator would have done that.  I am the lead Canvas Administrator at my institution and since it is still in beta, I have NOT turned it on for my faculty. 

-Nick

Katrina-Hess
Instructure
Instructure

@lshulman@nwilson7 is correct you can simply disable the Feature Preview in your Course Settings. The Discussions/Announcements redesign is in a beta state and under active development. If you are not interested in testing the updates, you can continue using the current version. I'm not sure where you're hearing any dates around deprecation of the current version. We will survey this user group before deprecating anything.

lshulman
Community Participant

<I am the lead Canvas Administrator at my institution and since it is still in beta, I have NOT turned it on for my faculty. >

Speaking from the perspective of faculty who was blind sided when my institution did turn it on, I suggest you let your faculty know of the upcoming change. Allow them to "experiment" with it if they are so inclined (allow them to enable it if they want to try it). Prepare or provide information on the changes, even provide training for those who want to try it. Let them get used to it and join his discussion with feedback on what they like and don't like about it. 

Do not keep them in the dark about what might be coming, like it or not.

Katrina-Hess
Instructure
Instructure

@lshulman the Feature Preview flag is set to Unlocked and Disabled on our side which means you (or a root account admin) would have to Enable it or set it to a Locked state. Please submit a support ticket so we can investigate why you are unable to disable it. 

lshulman
Community Participant

You must have misunderstood my original post here. I noted that I WAS able to disable it (and quite glad to be able to do that).

I am just hoping the option to disable this continues beyond the end of this year (as I was informed by my Canvas admin that come January we would no longer be able to disable it). But, at the current time, yes, I see where I can and did disable it.

Katrina-Hess
Instructure
Instructure

@lshulman As I've mentioned, we will survey the user group before considering deprecation. 

Jeff_F
Community Champion

@lshulman - 

My wager is the Canvas admin made a mistake. Chances are the feature was set to Enabled and Unlocked.  As this is in beta, we set it as Disabled and Unlocked so instructors can elect to opt in.

Can you please provide some detail as to why you have such a regard for this proposed redesign format?  Details are needed here.  Why is it liked or to the contrary, disliked?

nwilson7
Community Champion

@lshulman This is great advise and I agree 100%.  We try to run things in parallel and with lots of communication so currently faculty can test the new design out if they want but we try not to force a change until we have had plenty of time to train and communicate.  The majority of the Canvas admin, including myself, are also faculty (adjuncts) so we are directly impacted by the changes we make which I think helps keep things in perspective.  

Good luck with your semester!

-Nick

barbara_filkins
Community Member

I completely agree with you. Canvas needs to listen up on this one. We are getting focused discussions defacto -- not a useful educational and instructional tool by having only one level of response.