Do you just delete unused Canvas shells/empty courses?

mbmacdonald
Community Participant

Greetings,

Fellow HIED LMS admins, do you just delete unused and/or empty Canvas shells at some point in the semester?

We currently have hundreds every semester. We load in Canvas courses very early, often months before the start date, which means that many of the courses get cancelled, and all enrollments get deleted. But the empty course shell remains.

We also have course shells that just do not get used because the "course" is an internship, independent study or some other type of the course that the professor does not want to use Canvas for. These often have only one student.

I'm not sure why it never occurred to me to just delete these. What are the possible pros and cons of doing this? Those who do it: any suggestions/hacks?

Those who don't do it: why? Is there some other entity, like the registrar, who wouldn't want you to do it?

Finally, I also thought that maybe I could set up diffing for courses on my SIS integration. Currently we only perform diffing on enrollments. Again, I'd love to hear the pros and cons of doing this.

Thanks for your feedback.

0 Likes