Grade scheme display for category averages in gradebook

Jump to solution
ghalsell
Community Participant

In several of my courses, I grade on a 4-point basis, but rather than going through the hassle of changing the grading scheme for each assignment, I simply make each one worth four points. However, the gradebook calculates the average for each grading category in terms of percentages. If I were to use the GPA Scale grading scheme (ideally, modified to omit pluses and minuses) on each assignment, would Canvas still show the average in terms of a percentage? Right now, a student who has an average of 2 appears to be failing, with an average grade of 50%, while in fact they actually have a C in the class.

1 Solution
jamely
Community Champion

One way to approach this is to change your Grading Scheme for the course (I think that is different than "Grading scheme for assignment that you refer to). You can remove all of those separate grade point grades, and add your own custom percentage breakdown, such as A = 100%, B = <100% to 75%, C = <75% to 50%, D = < 50% to 25%. I think this makes sense, although I may be misunderstanding your explanation.

View solution in original post