cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cindy_Masek
Community Member

What tools have you used to create content review-type games?

Jump to solution

I'm looking for tools to use to create engaging content review exercises. I would also like them to be live in Canvas and not require a link or passwords to a different location.  I've used Quizlet and  SoftChalk in the past (before they cloud based).  Quizlet is ok, but I am looking for something with a greater diversity of activities. Softchalk worked well in ANGEL but now that we are in Canvas, does it work as well?  Any feed back on these products or suggestions would be appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@Cindy_Masek ​, this is a great question for the Instructional Designers​ group space, and I hope we can keep it open so that contributions keep pouring in!

We had a similar discussion in the old community, and these are some of the suggestions  @dhulsey ​ contributed, including his comments on SoftChalk:

@dhulsey ​ also contributed one of his sample Quizlet decks: Cards: Chapter Three: Does The Center Hold? Sample | Quizlet

In addition, you might get some ideas from  @G_Petruzella ​'s Media and HTML Examples document, which provides a link to Gerol's Lab . Nifty, no?

Hope this helps! Happy Canvassing! happypanda​

View solution in original post

16 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I know this is probably older software, but have you ever tried creating a crossword puzzle game for your students using Hot Potatoes?  Hot Potatoes Version 6   I've not used it for a very long time, but if memory serves, you could insert this into a course.  I did this a few times several years ago in a different LMS, and students could fill in the answers right within a course page.  I don't think there's a way to "save" the answers per student...it's just more of a fun activity for students to complete and self-check.

awilliams
Surveyor

This is an interesting question. I'm going to share it to Instructional Designers​ to see if it gets any more attention there.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@Cindy_Masek ​, this is a great question for the Instructional Designers​ group space, and I hope we can keep it open so that contributions keep pouring in!

We had a similar discussion in the old community, and these are some of the suggestions  @dhulsey ​ contributed, including his comments on SoftChalk:

@dhulsey ​ also contributed one of his sample Quizlet decks: Cards: Chapter Three: Does The Center Hold? Sample | Quizlet

In addition, you might get some ideas from  @G_Petruzella ​'s Media and HTML Examples document, which provides a link to Gerol's Lab . Nifty, no?

Hope this helps! Happy Canvassing! happypanda​

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@Cindy_Masek ​, you might also want to browse the Canvas Course Collections. (For now, I'm providing the link to the old community, and will post the new link as soon as the CCC has been moved to the new community.) This page provides examples of how to leverage Canvas's quiz options (without having to use any external tools): Quiz: Using Quizzes and Polls | Canvas Course Collections | Canvas Guides

pattyd
Community Member

Hi Cindy,

It would depend on what you want to do with this activity, is the intent to be used as a reinforcement tool for the lesson or lecture, a check yourself type activity, or would you like to have it graded?  Have you ever heard of Elearning Brothers.  There are may templates available here that can easily be edited, updated and embedded into your course for as low as $99.00 per year.  If it reinforcement from a lecture that you are looking for you could easily use the quiz function to create interactive learning that is gradable. Here is a very good video that demonstrates this.

kroeninm
Explorer II

Hi Cindy,

To add/reiterate what others have mentioned.

Paid

• We use Elearning Brothers occasionally as mentioned (paid subscription).
  • We use StudyMate through the Respondus company as well (paid subscription, authoring tool only available on PC)
  • I've used Softchalk in the past as well but more for lesson creation with inline activities.

Free-ish

• For free tools, I usually recommend Quizlet but I also really like Kubbu though I feel like I don't know enough about it.  It has some great options for interaction, is very simple, and I think if you aren't using the analytics it's free for under 15 activities.

Typically

• Since Canvas has both practice quizzes (not graded, immediate feedback, and analytics) as well as graded surveys (no marking incorrect/correct but can be used for self-checks and students can receive full credit for completing so you can motivate them) I often just use Canvas.  If you were an instructor, I'd probably ask what types of goals you have and how you define "engaging" and then try Canvas first.  Though some of the other tools do fit very specific purposes that Canvas may not (i.e. the crossword puzzle type interactive), some instructors really just want multiple choice or matching questions displayed in a more "fun" way Smiley Happy .  With visuals and good design, it often is just as effective within Canvas.

Great question, watching for other good ideas!

- Melanie

cfranklin
Surveyor

Hello, Cindy,

SoftChalk works great with Canvas.   If you have graded activities, the scores will go right into the Grades.

Also, with the SoftChalk Cloud, you can link the same activity into many courses.  Need to update or edit - just do it once! 

I have a SoftChalk lesson in every one of my Modules in my online courses.   They have lots of new activities you can use.   I like the options on scoring too - like record highest score, latest score, etc.

The style templates also make it look like you worked very hard.   They have a wide variety of colors and layouts and it creates a clickable Table of Contents.

Cynthia

awilliams
Surveyor

Shall we turn this into a discussion rather than a question  @chofer ​,  @kona ​ or stefaniesanders​?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is definitely more of a discussion, but in groups I think either the person who created it or a Group admin has to be the one to change it. I don't have the ability to change it.