Autosave "additional comments" below a quiz question in SpeedGrader

(4)

When moving between student quiz submissions in SpeedGrader (using the left and right arrows at the top), the numerical scores are saved, but the "additional comments" fields below the questions are lost. In order to save these comments, you must click "Update Scores" before switching to another student's submission. (This is all using the "Grade by question (beta)" option -- not sure if that makes a difference.)

I've been told by Canvas Support that this behavior is intentional, but my request is that the "additional comments" fields below the questions be saved, like the numerical scores are, when switching between students, even without clicking the "Update Scores" button. It is quite natural to simply switch to another student when you are done with one, but that simple action erases (potentially) a lot of work commenting on the first student's quiz.

Originally submitted by Ezra Keshet

Also, clicking "update scores" and waiting for the refresh takes a long time. And then you still need to click to the next student and wait for another screen refresh. It would be great if the comments were automatically saved.

52 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

Mentioning Speedgrader 2.0​ in case this issue is relevant to research for that Studio project.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@Beth_Young ​ and ekeshet

We have identified this as a bug and will be taking it out of voting.  Please seek more information on this from your Customer Success Manager

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

ekeshet​ and  @Beth_Young ​ Was this ever addressed with support and/or your CSM?

Because another similar idea came through:   which I think is very similar to this. And if it is, we'll need to re-evaluate to see if this is indeed a recurring bug or an idea that should be open for voting.

Looping  @Renee_Carney ​ and cavanagh

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

I'm not sure whether it was ever addressed. My summer semester just started and I haven't had much chance to test it yet. I should be able to do that soon, as more quizzes are submitted. Smiley Happy

ginan
Community Contributor

Please keep us updated on the status of this bug.

ekeshet
Community Novice

Ah, it seems like a similar bug is affecting Gradebook. I would NOT

consider the original SpeedGrader bug to be a new idea -- it is actually a

bug. If anything, instead of holding voting on this new, Gradebook idea, I

would classify that as a bug, too.

Basically, any time you enter text in two places for a student's work, then

click somewhere and only one is saved, that is frustrating behavior.

Ezra Keshet, Assistant Professor

Dept. of Linguistics, University of Michigan

http://www.ezrakeshet.com

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 7:30 PM, biray@instructure.com <

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

I just checked today while grading a quiz in the speedgrader and the bug is still there.

When I am grading essay questions, if I enter a grade in the points box and a comment in the "Additional Comments" box, then click to see "next student," then return to this student, the points grade has been saved but the comment has not. The only way I can get "Additional Comments" to save is to click "Update Scores" after every student.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for the update  @Beth_Young ​

Have you updated the ticket?

ginan
Community Contributor

I don't think there is a ticket open since this started as a feature idea.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Correct, there is no ticket. I noticed this happening, remembered that there was a feature idea from ekeshet​ in the old community, and copied it over.

I gather that I am supposed to ask the help desk at my school to submit a ticket now? 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Let me see what I can find  @Beth_Young ​

When I was reading the label 'bug' in the comments my brain when into auto mode and just assumed if they were calling it a bug they must already have confirmed it was labeled as one.  Sorry about that!

Let me do some looking to see if there is anything in our system regarding this and if not we'll get it ready for voting July 1.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

OK, thanks!  (Just before you wrote I asked my help desk to look into it, too.)

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

I have opened a support ticket for UCF on Dr. Young's behalf.  Ticket # 1568246

~Susan

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

We have confirmed that this feature is in development and will be released in beta soon.  Please watch the Canvas Release Notes​ space for the Beta Release Notes towards the end of July.

We will also post an update here when it is released.

Thank you all for your patience and attention to detail here!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Our apologies for the wrong information above.  We were pretty sure the beta released feature would resolve this idea, however it does not.  The beta feature being released today will only provide an alert if you navigate away from the speedgrader without saving the comment. 

We have reopened this feature idea immediately for voting. 

You may also want to keep your eye on the following planned project

Canvas Studio: Speedgrader 2.0

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Thanks for the followup, and for giving people extra time to vote for this idea.

olexar
Community Contributor

It does something similar directly in the gradebook. I posted an idea about it that was deemed different than this:

mcohen
Community Explorer

This has been a pet peeve of mine forever.  I just want to hit enter once and save my comment and the grade not twice and not separately.

hyu1
Community Member

I really appreciate how you are open for suggestions and new ideas. But since you've already noticed this "bug," wouldn't it be more productive to just fix it instead of going through the voting again and decide whether or not you want to fix it?

vicki_allan
Community Member

If I don’t click “update scores”, it seems to destroy my scores AND my comments.  Not updating the score unless you press update score is a TERRIBLE decision. Maybe 1 time in 100 you change a score and want to “undo” it.  The other 99 times you just forgot.  Canvas throws away your scores and your comments without warning.  ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG  If you need an “undo”, include it, but don’t penalize the majority of users.