cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compile all essay responses to a quiz question on one screen for grading

Compile all essay responses to a quiz question on one screen for grading

(7)
I would love to see and grade all written responses (essays) to a quiz question at one time, on one screen.  If I need to grade #12 manually, for example, I would like all the #12 responses grouped together with a way to input grades for each one.  The "grade by question" feature as it is now still makes you go through each student's quiz separately and does not save any time at all...it basically just gives bookmarks to each question.  I am still doing a whole lot of scrolling to the bottom of the page to update scores or past a bunch of questions that have already been graded automatically.
49 Comments
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

Community Member

Please make this change. Grading essay-style questions is incredibly cumbersome and time-consuming. The incredible increase in time required to grade these makes me want to switch to using multiple-choice questions instead of using essay questions, which are a much less effective form of assessment. I teach computer science and I need to see students' code to assess them! I need them to write code and I need to be able to grade it quickly. There is no method to do this in Canvas. Please address this critical change.

Community Member

Agreed, please make this change ASAP. From the quiz statistics page, it lists who responded to the open-answer questions and how many scored in the top 27%, middle xx%, etc. It should also just list what their exact responses were. 

This will also help with impartiality during grading. As a work-around, I tried using the "grade by question (beta) function" feature and "hide student's name" in the speed grader, but it is not the same; it is still very cumbersome and inefficient. Because speedgrader can't handle that the questions are shuffled... I have my Short Answers shuffled, so when I click next student it just shows me which ever SA question they got first, instead of the one I was grading for the previous student.... This is very annoying... and should be an easy fix. 

Also, please add Turnitin integration, so I can be confident they're not copying and pasting information from google into their short answer responses... Pretty much everything a student does needs to be checked for plagiarism --- from the internet and from students in the current course and previous sections of the course at the university... 

Surveyor

Amen to integration!  There is a short-term workaround, however.  You can download all responses to an individual question (comes out in a spreadsheet), copy the column with the responses, and paste it into a Word document (and do a little clean-up on formatting).  Next, create a Turnitin assignment called "Exam Scan" or some such and upload the file for scanning. (I often go directly to Turnitin to do the upload.)    This does tend to bog down, however, if you have a significant number of individual short answer questions to handle on a given exam.

Surveyor

I cannot emphasize enough how helpful this feature would be.  Please, please develop it ASAP!

Community Member

Canvas--can you let us know what the status of this feature is? Currently, manual grading in SpeedGrader requires 3 clicks and 2 keystrokes (as well as loading a new exam) to advance and grade student submissions for the same question. It is not only inefficient, but it promotes grading inconsistencies since it is impossible to see multiple student responses simultaneously. 

Community Member

I could not agree more; it's been over a year since I first asked about it and it hasn't gotten easier or more efficient to grade long-response questions. As an ELA teacher it takes me hours to grade just one, and that really hinders me from asking more. There are other platforms with this feature, and it's hard for me to understand why this is such a difficult process.Hoping for some good news that this is on the horizon.New Ideation Stage:  Product Radar

Community Member

Long overdue update!!!

Surveyor

How long are we going to have to wait on this!?!?!

This is the thing that would actually make speedgrader speedy.  Right now it's anything but.

Surveyor

I know!  Enter the grade, update, wait, next student, wait for it to load again... so frustrating.