Due Date in Gradebook Header

(12)
Hi Canvas developers, we are requesting to have the "Due Date" show up in the Gradebook Header.

In making this 3rd label as short as possible, using short numeric format ( Due: 11/09/15 or 11/09/15 ) & the same small Font Size as the Points value would be ideal and helps when the gradebook is sorted by due date (to see the date).  Currently they get Title and Points value only.

127442_assignment_hover.pngassignment_hover.png

41 Comments
applem
Community Contributor

Good idea. Currently, some of my teachers include the due date in the assignment title.

jjordan1
Community Contributor

I should check, I am not sure if they do that yet, but that is a good temp solution.  Thank you Mary Ann

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for your submission,  @jjordan1 ​. This idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle. Smiley Happy

joseph_allen
Community Champion

Good idea.  I will certain vote for it.

jjordan1
Community Contributor

Follow-up to this Feature request ...

After thinking about Differentiated Assignments (DA), how would we be able to show the Due Date when there could be numerous due dates ... ?

• Would it be a horrible view if the Header adjusted dynamically based on amount of due dates?
  • Maybe... if for Everyone (single due date), then list that date, else if DA, then list "Multiple" and A) user clicks on Multiple and the date show up in the grid (header expands vertically downward), or b) Hover effect shows multiple due dates.

Other ways to make this work?

jjordan1
Community Contributor

Before this gets open for votes on Dec 2nd, I wanted to suggest a better solution on this.....

Use the same Hover logic that is used on the Assignments View when hovering over the item label in the gradebook.  Right now the gradebook item label shows the same title when hovering:

Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 9.41.31 PM.png

Replace that with the "Due Date" Hover code from Assignments View.  Below is a single Due date and then a Differentiated Assignment Due Date (Hover):

Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 9.33.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 9.33.30 PM.png

I think this will work for the needs of clients with and without Differentiated Assignments.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. December 2, 2015 - Wed. March 2, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

vc_beaconserv
Community Novice

Looks like the Hover for the Differential idea looks great, shows the necessary information, seems to be a lot of black space to the right, suggest lessen the window width to min reqt for the date format specified. Also, How about the Hover being shadowed for viewing of info behind. I cannot tell you how many times it has been frustrating having a hover window show up you do not know is there when what your eye is focused on reading is obliterated from sight by a Hover window.

amber_depetro
Community Novice

This would help when I am quickly looking ahead to assignments/grades!

jbrady2
Community Champion

This would be how I would want to see this feature implemented. I had to adjust a 16 week course to fit into an 8 week schedule this semester, and since I had to combine some units into a single week, I now find myself referring back to the course schedule when I sit down to grade so that I can recall what was due the previous due date and differentiate between what needs grading and what has been turned in but was submitted early since I also allow the students to work ahead on some assignments.

amcalpine
Community Explorer

It would be great if the date is added to the gradebook header and could be included in the Gradebook Export!

jjordan1
Community Contributor

Thinking about this more lately and it seems the on-hover popup with the Title makes perfect sense for faculty who resize the columns (or else they can't tell what they have there).  I am wondering if the developers can tweak gradebook grid (slickgrid tool) to show on-hover: Title then the Due Dates (some concatenation of both)?

epokryfki
Community Participant

Yes please, this would be so helpful!

xcotto
Community Contributor

Hi  @amcalpine ​

I do Request this Feature last year ago but unfortunately  it didn't reach the 100. More for a time stamp under Grades.

I'm looking forward to  relist this Feature Idea.

Regards,

XCT

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

173415_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

steeletm
Community Novice

What happened to this idea? It still needs to be done - especially since there is a way to sort by due date!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has resurfaced at

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process. It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

thompsli
Community Champion

I would find this very useful. I manually go through and set a "default grade" of 0 about a week after assignments are due in my classes (as a workaround since there is no "missing assignment" grade or way for Canvas to autofill missing work zeroes at the assignment's deadline), and it would be helpful to know when an assignment was due so I know when to stop filling in the zeroes in each class. (I teach 6 classes, most of which have 2 or 3 assignments a week, and remembering specific due dates by assignment title a few weeks after I've last thought about that assignment is not one of my superpowers.)

chefner
Community Novice

Yes please. I co-teach a course. My assignment title: Ch 4 Test, My partner's title: Chapter Four Test on Wednesday 11/13/17. These long titles drive me crazy. An automatic date would be a big help. Also, some assignments have very similar names. Later in the semester I forget which was which. The date would be a great help