Easily add points to a gradebook column

(12)

I frequently decide to curve a quiz or exam but the curve feature in Canvas doesn't work the way I would expect it to.  What I want is an easy way to say "add X points to every student that received a score for this assignment".  I can do it with the Fudge points within SpeedGrader but having to manually do it for each student is extremely time-consuming and error prone.  Alternatively I could export the gradebook to Excel, modify it there, and then upload it again.  However, this is also far more convoluted and time-consuming than it needs to be and again there's an easy opportunity for errors to be introduced.  

The fudge point concept already exists, why not make it easy to apply universally to an assignment/quiz/etc.?

Tags (3)
14 Comments
tcrump
Community Explorer

I absolutely agree with this and it has been requested numerous times. A method like this of applying a linear curve, instead of the current curve function which provides a predetermined distribution, is much more conducive to the contemporary student population because no one is penalized and everyone receives an equal increase. I believe instructors nowadays are much more attuned to the possibility that they may have included an unfair, poorly worded, or unaddressed question on a quiz, than ascribing to the antiquated theory that their student scores shall reflect a fixed distribution. 

glt
Community Novice

Same. Requested a partial-credit (i.e. credit for participation vs. correctness) option for questions. The suggestion I got was to add points in the gradebook but this must be done individually for students. This idea would be a work around for my current problem.

shaylahoffman
Community Member

Would be great to adjust all grades by a certain number of points through grade book. Curving isn't always the best option.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

lgibson3
Community Explorer

Yes!  We need a quicker way to add or take away points for students in Quizzes.  Fudge points are good when grading open response answers in Speedgrader, but adding fudge points to an entire roster of students is time-consuming and daunting.  Being able to add points in the gradebook column would be a simple solution.

akoch
Community Explorer

Please do this. It would be very helpful and, I imagine, not very difficult.

I'd love a few different curving options, or better yet, the ability to type in the adjustment equation we want to use.

JanGelech
Community Member

With over 900 students in an intro course, we need a quick process for adding a flat number of points to graded quizzes or assignments if the average proves too low or a question proves problematic.  An option of '+ points' in the gradebook column menu would be best. Current options for adding bonus points in canvas are incredibly clunky and time consuming.

dbrace
Community Contributor

bumping

akoch
Community Explorer

Please! Customized curving is so burdensome in Canvas. In addition to "add X to all scores", it would be great to be able to customize the curve to things such as percentage of the complement curves or square root curves.

JohnstonOsagie
Community Member

elisabeth_green
Community Participant

This came up recently during a call supporting our adjunct faculty- doing this inividually using the current fudge points just does not work for large classes! Please allow the ability to add the same fudge points to every submission for an assignment or quiz!

CollegeProf
Community Member

Agreed! Going though 10 or 100s of quizzes manually is ridiculous.  We need an option to add a set # of points to every quiz score.

MichaelMomot
Community Explorer

I agree.  There are multiple means of fixing this slow, tedious process.  Modifying the "curve grade" algorithm, adding an option in the gradebook, or adding a feature in the "score review" page would work.  At least put the "Fudge Points" at the top of the assignment/quiz.  On a long quiz, and my quizzes get very long, scrolling to the end of 130 student quizzes to add a few points takes an hour. Uploading and downloading grades to Excel is not so tedious, but still takes time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.