cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indicate Where Files Are Linked Within a Course

About Idea Conversations
In the Canvas Community Ideas space, you can share, converse, and rate idea conversations related to software improvements to Canvas products.

Indicate Where Files Are Linked Within a Course

The awesome Files feature would be even better if it could indicate that a file is linked elsewhere within your course -- on a Page, from other rich content, or as a Module item -- in an unobtrusive way.  If a file's linked-elsewhere status were indicated in Files, the benefits might include fewer broken links, fewer Page Errors reported, and easier content revision.  Ideally the indicator could also help an instructor or designer locate content elsewhere in the course which uses this file.

(Inspired by Andrea Adimando's observations about how we naturally delete and re-upload files we want to revise.)

17 Comments
Community Member

Great idea!

Community Member

Hi dittor@wharton.upenn.edu​! Thanks for your idea submission. It sounds like this could be helpful information to have, especially during course modifications and changes. Perhaps it could show up under the file with a link that say (this content appears in 3 places) and then you could click on the link and it will list the places the content is linked!

This will move through to the next voting cycle.

Learner II

Thanks, biray@instructure.com​! I love your idea of something clickable near the file which would list where it's linked.

Community Member

I have wished for something like this, many times! This could help teachers keep their courses clean/tidy from semester to semester. Also this would be especially great when migrating content from other LMS's, into Canvas. Teachers who have had courses for years, in another LMS, might find they have a lot of content in their courses that they are not utilizing.

Community Member

I love this idea. I think it is unlikely we would be able to implement this feature given the other priorities we are working on right now. I'm exploring the possibility of an option that would have to be run manually rather than a background process that would have to scan all files in a course to see where it might be linked all the time.

I'll post what I find out here.

Community Member

A similar idea that builds on this idea has surfaced and will be open for voting Feb. 3, 2016. " style="color: #2989c5;

Learner II

Understood, Deactivated user. Happily, the new Link Validator is effective at reducing the size of the footprint of isses this idea was intended to address. Perhaps some ways forward could be:

• Add a "run on demand" checker for a file which essentially runs the Link Validator just for that file and its references, perhaps listing found links.
  • Build focused remediation tools within or adjacent to the Link Validator, intended to solve problems with file link
Community Member

Any updates on this one??  I just posted something about wanting this feature and was directed to this page!

Community Member

I wouldn't mind a manual process at all - and I wish that I had seen this before posting my Deployment Status for Course Files as an idea.

Navigator
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...