A friend said to go climb a mountain...so I did.

jbrady2
Community Champion
Home.pngSchedule.pngFood & Fun.pngPartners.pngHelp & FAQ.png

Introduction:

Taking the gondolas or ski lift behind River Run to the top, you will find the Dercum Hiking Trail just to the right of the Outpost Gondola building.  

Details:

This trail is a loop that winds through 1.4 miles of Alpine forest.  There are various signs along the way providing information about the native flora and fauna that can be found throughout the region.  The sights, sounds, and smells were extraordinary along its entire length.  I saw a few species of native birds, most of which I could not identify, since I am not from this part of the country, although I have some great pictures of a few of them. Even with the birds I could not see, it was a joy just to listen to their calls.  About half-way around the trail there is a small detour that takes you to a peak that allows one to overlook the surrounding area, which is where I took the banner picture for this post.  According to the lift operator, this point is at about 11,800 feet above sea level.

Recommendation:

I really enjoyed this hike. If you have time on Thursday, or if you plan to stay in the area for a few days after InstructureCon, I would highly recommend taking a hike on Dercum Trail.  If you go, don’t forget your water and pack a lunch, there are picnic tables at the top.

193074_TL_letters.png193075_TR_letters.png193076_bottom_letters.png