Adventures in Weather & Dietary Restrictions

michellemeazell
Community Contributor

I was here for InstCon 2016 and evening events were always outdoors, and always it rained. I was hoping that maybe this year there would be more coverings for the lot of us to eat in dry space and sit down.  Last night was a total disappointment.  Cold, wet, and nowhere to sit because the limited tent seating was full.  We found refuge under a building awning with some others and ate our now cold and wet food.  I did go on a tweet rant about it and specialty diets.

My mother eats a vegan diet. The reason we got the PRICEY guest pass was  I assumed she would have a special meal prepared - as I am used to seeing at other conferences, and we wouldn't have to worry about how to feed her.  Nope, she was told to just had to pick the veggies and hope for the best - oh, but we do have some weird bbq tofu.  This morning, had to ask for a vegan option and was presented with a tofu scramble, no toast, no non-pastry items, and peaches hard as baseballs.  

This maybe not the place to complain about the food, but my parents spent a lot of money for a guest pass because I was sure that would be the way I knew she could be fed while she was here because of her strict diet. She's not getting her money's worth, that's for sure.  If you're going to take the time to ask for dietary restrictions on registration, the effort should be made to make those meals and not make those folks have to hunt for food, ask around, wait around, etc.  I know she isn't the only person - I talked to someone this morning that didn't even know that's what he should do  (ask a Keystone employee for a vegan option).  

If you're going to take the time to ask for dietary restrictions on registration, the effort should be made to make those meals and not make those folks have to hunt for food, ask around, wait around, etc.  I know she isn't the only person - I talked to someone this morning that didn't even know that's what he should do  (ask a Keystone employee for a vegan option)!

It's just disappointing, and while we've had fun on hikes, Canvas staff has been impressive at every turn, as the Keystone staff has as well.   This part of weather and dietary requirements will probably continue to be an issue.