Cat herding for beginners: My first year as the technical expert for a large multi-institutional consortium

dtod
Community Contributor

Presentation Blog

Presentation Title

Cat herding for beginners: My first year as the technical expert for a large multi-institutional consortium, or what I wish I knew when we started, or how to get ahead in Canvas without even trying, being the tale of of "...many things, Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—Of cabbages—and kings—And why the sea is boiling hot—And whether pigs have wings."

Official Abstract / Session Overview

Key technologies, fun with the API, lessons learned, community resources, and what I still don't get about Canvas as we have implemented Canvas over the past year. Will include some coding examples in PHP, Linux and Javascript, SIS integration, and customizing Canvas to meet the needs of our member colleges.

Details

You know how you write an abstract and then get into the details of the presentation later? Yeah, that. This presentation will cover the API and how we have taken advantage of it, but the larger context is the technical side of two-semester project to implement Canvas across a very large community college system that had been on Blackboard for 16+ years.

As an addendum, what's perhaps not clear is that I've been the LMS expert engineer for the VCCS for many years, but this was our first year moving to Canvas, so a focus of this presentation is on our adjustment and process for our migration and the changes we had to make, and the lessons we learned.

315431_Divider3.png

Resources

315432_Blog Postcard - Blog Icon 2.png

InstructureCon 2019

Read More Presentation Blogs