cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddamschen
Community Participant

Students being "kicked out" while taking a Quiz with "View questions one at a time" setting

Jump to solution

Has anyone experienced the following issue(s) while students are taking a quiz? Some students are getting kicked out of taking a quiz. Teacher does some trial and error tweaking and discovers that if she changes the viewing of the questions to View all that students do not get kicked out.

Any ideas? This is the teachers first attempt of using Canvas Quizzes and it's been nothing but issues all week- and finals are next week!

More details:

Students were taking a Written Exam in Canvas Quizzes which involved 3 separate questions. It was set up so that they could only see 1 question at a time on their screens ( makes it easier for them to view), but they could scroll back and forth between the questions (meaning, after the responded to one question, went on to another question, they could still go back to the other question before finally hitting the SUBMIT button).

The teacher and students had a HORRIBLE time with this - when students would go to try and hit "previous" or "next" they often - but not always - were ejected from the test. They were able to log back in, one at a time, but this was very frustrating.

Teacher tried again yesterday and students were still getting ejected (or kicked out) from the Quiz. The teacher then figured out that if she changed the question settings to VIEW ALL AT ONCE, students were fine and they did not get kick out of the quiz.

Here is a screenshot of the quiz settings;

Industrial Revolution  Written Assessment  World History 1C   Phelps.png

Thank you in Advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, once a quiz has submitted you can't resume or allow them to start that same attempt over. You can give the student another attempt at the quiz (through the Moderate settings), but they will have to completely start it over. Below is a link to a guide that explains how to do this -

Once I publish my quiz, how can I give my students extra attempts?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is definitely not how Canvas should be functioning. Have you or the Instructor contacted Canvas Support? If not, then I'd definitely contact them to see if they can help figure out what the problem is!

james_sanzin
Community Champion

I had a student's quiz submit, but they were not done. Is there a way to let them resume, without starting over?

No, once a quiz has submitted you can't resume or allow them to start that same attempt over. You can give the student another attempt at the quiz (through the Moderate settings), but they will have to completely start it over. Below is a link to a guide that explains how to do this -

Once I publish my quiz, how can I give my students extra attempts?

View solution in original post

james_sanzin
Community Champion

The problem is that the student was not finished. It automatically submitted the quiz. The student had only used 17 minutes of their 75 minutes available.

The student had only attempted half of the questions.

I'd submit this to Canvas Support because it totally sounds like a bug/problem. To submit this as a ticket go to the student's submission in Canvas, click on the Help link, and then choose Report a Problem.

Is there a possibility that there was a due date on the assignment and the time had passed?  In my experience if a student starts a assignment and never finishes and the due date passes the system will grade what work the student had completed. 

Also  I have noticed that once a student starts a assignment the times starts and doesn't end until they submit their work.   For example if a student starts a assignment a 2 pm today and works until 3 pm, logs out of the system and then finishes the assignment tomorrow from 1 pm until 2 pm.  The system shows 24 hours for the amount of time to complete the assignment.   Not the 2 hours

@john_williamson , I've tested this quite a bit lately and quizzes will not auto submit at the due date. They will only auto submit at the "until" time and/or the time limit (if it's a timed test).

john_williamson
Community Contributor

Kona,

Thanks for the information I didn't realize that because I usually make both my due date and  available until the same.  I will have to remember this in the future if i have different dates.

@kona ​