cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbrogan
Community Member

logged out of Canvas

Here is our situation:

We have iPads dedicated to our testing room. We are loading all assessments into a specific account/"class" supervised by me, the director of special education. We are loading these assessments as quizzes  in pdf format. If I load them as quizzes then the students can highlight the words and allow the iPad to read the text to the student. Since students can take screen shots of assessment questions then share these screen shots through the Canvas messaging system we have made "fake" student names for our 12 iPads. Students may listen to the test on Canvas, but submit their answers on the paper test, like all the other students. The iPads won't hold the fake student names when we load the quizzes. The students are timed out off and on during the day. The quizzes are loaded and marked untimed. If we load the assessment as an assignment then the iPad does not log the student out during the day. The catch is that the assessment is no longer secure due to not being able to put the access code on the assignment. We use these iPads for students in grades 9-12 so multiple tests are happening at the same time.

How can I keep the "student" logged in all day to take quizzes without being kicked out. I don't want to reveal the passwords to the students

Thank you.

Beth

17 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@bbrogan ​, this sounds like a strange issue. Have you tried contacting Canvas Support (Help link --> Report a Problem) to see if they can diagnose the issue? Normally I'd say it's the wireless cutting out, but that doesn't make sense since you don't get kicked out when it's loaded as an Assignment. Yep, the more I think about it I'd definitely contact Canvas Support about this issue.

bbrogan
Community Member

Will do.

Thank you!

Beth

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Please let us know what Canvas Support has to say! This is quite a strange issue and it would be interesting to know what the problem is.

stephanie_pope
Community Member

Hey Elizabeth,

This is just a thought...when my iPad "goes to sleep" it shuts downs some programs. I'm wondering if you played with the "go to sleep" settings on the iPad to see if you disable it, would it still lock you out? I would try it but I don't have my iPad on me. I really appreciate your efforts for your students- what a great way to hear questions! I'm sure Canvas support will help.

Stephanie

john_williamson
Surveyor

Try using canvas through a browser and not the app and have the browser remember the user name and passwords.  This might fix your issue.

Do you know if the iPad guided access would still work with Canvas through

the browser? I don't want the students using anything else but the Canvas

site when completing an assessment.

Right now we use the iPad guided access feature so that the students can

only access the Canvas app.

Thanks,

Beth

Beth Brogan '86

Director of Academic Support

Bishop Chatard High School

317.251.1451 ext. 2252

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 4:00 PM, john.williamson@gactc.edu <

I am not sure.  I have only had very limited experience with using ipads with canvas.  All of my students currently use  a web browser to access the site.

John 

We haven't had a lot of luck with students submitting assignments and taking quizzes through the mobile web interface. The app seems to be much much more suited for it.

bbrogan
Community Member

ugh.

I'm just trying to use Canvas and the iPads and keep everyone honest. I

appreciate your input. It's great to hear from others who are working with

the same tools.

Beth

Beth Brogan '86

Director of Academic Support

Bishop Chatard High School

317.251.1451 ext. 2252

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 4:37 PM, kona@richland.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>