InstructureCon18 brought, yet again, another exciting lineup of Product announcements. Some are ready for release, while others are preparing for release in the near future. It can be difficult to remember every exciting announcement, so we created this summary and resource post for you. Use the table of contents below to quickly navigate.
- Analytics 2 for Teachers
- Anonymous & Moderated Grading
- Arc Public API Version 1.0
- Arc Video Quizzing Live Preview
- Content Duplication
- Developer Key Management
- Granular Permissions: UI Update
- Mobile: Camera Access for Embedded Images
- Non-Scoring Rubrics
- Outcomes: Bulk Import
- Parent App 2.0 / Pairing Codes
- Section Specific Announcements
- Section Specific Discussions
- Student App Page View Reporting
- Student Planner: Student To Do List View
Analytics 2 for Teachers
Canvas Analytics 2 saves teachers time by providing comprehensible at-a-glance data to help them quickly and easily identify at-risk students in their course. Information is offered through interactive and actionable dashboards that answer students’ most common performance and participation questions, providing information for proactive course correction.
- Open Beta for Course Grade Chart will be available mid fall.
- Open Beta for Performance and Participation Chart will be available 6-8 weeks later.
- If you're interested in joining the Analytics 2 Open Beta group, contact your CSM once the open beta is announced in the fall.
- Canvas Studio: Priority: Analytics 2
Anonymous & Moderated Grading
Removing marking bias is a difficult but necessary task to ensure fair marking practices for any institution. We have improved the moderating and anonymity features in Canvas to further reduce marking bias within courses.
- Release Notes: Anonymous Moderated Grading
- Canvas Studio: Priority: Anonymous & Moderated Marking
Arc Public API Version 1.0
The Arc Public API places the power and ability in the hands of you to extend the value of Arc. This initial release will focus on media upload integrations.
- Release Notes: July 24, 2018
Arc Video Quizzing Live Preview
Arc Video Quizzing will provide educators a new and innovative way to create engaging and impactful learning experiences through video. Educators can create, deliver and assess/analyze/evaluate how well learners comprehend course video content in real time. With the Arc Video Player, learners experience intuitive and interactive learning integrated directly in their courses.
- Coming in the next year.
- Will be provided upon release.
Previously, course content items could only be duplicated individually. With the recent Modules update, instructors can duplicate entire modules. Please review the Canvas Release Notes and Canvas documentation to view the specifications and limitations of module duplication.
- Release Notes: Copy a Module item (will not work if an old quiz is in the module)
- Release Notes: Copy a Module Structure
- Release Notes: Copy a Discussion
- Release Notes: Copy an Assignment
- Khaki 2017: Priorities & Related Ideas: #2 Content Duplication
Developer Key Management
Admins can manage the state and actions of API keys created for third-party tools. These changes allow admins to control direct access and specific API endpoints for a third-party tool associated with their institution.
- Release Notes: Developer Key Management
We made a commitment to the community to get to feature parity with Crocodoc.
- Release Notes: DocViewer
Gauge changes the face (and results) of the AMS landscape by understanding that just testing is not enough. You need testing that delivers actionable data that can then impact teaching and learning. You need assessment that improves student achievement. And it would be nice if it were a one-stop learning and assessment tool—scalable, easy-to-use, easily customizable, with a modern, intuitive user experience. Gauge is all of that and more.
- Visit www.gaugeams.com for more info and to get a demo
Granular Permissions: UI Update
The Granular Permissions UI update will be the first of three phases. It will provide clarity for each permission, any dependencies, and help admins to better manage a subset of roles and permissions. It also provides the framework under which granularity can be added.
- Release Notes: New user Interface
- Description text will be added with the following release.
- Canvas Studio: Priority: Granular Permissions
- Khaki 2017: Priorities & Related Ideas: #1 Granular Permissions
Mobile: Camera Access for Embedded Images
The Rich Content Editor supports inserting an image by taking a photo or selecting an image from your device.
- Khaki 2017: Priorities and Related Ideas: #10 Camera Access for Embedded Images
Non-Scoring Rubrics increases qualitative feedback options in Canvas. This feature specifically focuses on Rubrics without points, custom Learning Mastery Gradebook levels, and Enhanced UI and UX of the Student Learning Mastery Gradebook.
- Release Notes: Non-Scoring Rubrics
- Canvas Studio: Priority: Non-Scoring Rubrics: Including designs and an opportunity to provide feedback
Outcomes: Bulk Import
This work allows for the ability to bring Outcomes into Canvas in a bulk capacity via CSV and allow for institutions to more easily populate their accounts with Outcomes as well as their courses.
- Release Notes: Bulk Import
Parent App 2.0 / Pairing Codes
Simplified account creation and login for Canvas Observers from Canvas Parent and Canvas web.
- Release Notes:
- How do I create an account in the Canvas Parent app on my Android device?
- Canvas Parent 2.0 - Pre-Release Update
- Pairing Code How-To Guide: for school distribution to parents
Section Specific Announcements
Instructors can now create section-specific announcements in their courses. When creating an announcement, instructors can select to send the announcement to all sections, one section, or multiple sections.
- Release Notes: Section Specific Announcements
- Guide: How do I add an announcement in a course?
- Khaki 2017: Priorities & Related Ideas: #5 Large Course: Sections/Groups
Section Specific Discussions
Instructors now have the ability to invite specific sections to view and participate in a discussion so it can be focused to the right audience.
- Release Notes: Non Graded Discussions
- Guide: How do I assign a graded discussion to a course section?
- Khaki 2017: Priorities & Related Ideas: #5 Large Course: Sections/Groups
Student App Page View Reporting
Canvas Student mobile app now reports page views to Canvas web.
Student Planner: Student To Do List View
The Student Planner will help students prioritize what they need to do across courses, identify missed opportunities, and add their own items to their list of to-dos to help them manage their time in one place.
- Release Date: August 4, 2018
- Will be posted when available
A modern, elegant, and scalable testing engine that brings elegance and simplicity back into testing (if it was ever there to start). Quizzes.Next specifically focuses on delivery and reporting, question management and item banking, and simplified design and responsive user experience.
- General Availability: June 30, 2018
- Feature Parity: In Progress
- Canvas Quizzes EOL: TBD once feature parity is complete
If all of this creative work sparked some creative ideas, there are channels for you to share.
- First, search existing ideas in the Canvas Studio space to see if someone already submitted one like yours.
- If you don’t see an idea like your own, submit a new idea at the bottom of the @studio page.
- Then, let your Customer Success Manager know about your ideas (share links): they’re great champions for you!