About Trust Accounts
A trust relationship allows one Canvas account to trust another Canvas account and allows users to be enrolled in both places. Instead of creating two separate accounts and merging them together, a trust relationship allows separate Canvas accounts to share user identities, so a user can log in to one account and access courses from both accounts.
To establish a trust between two or more accounts, the Canvas Operations team configures a trust setting, which is stored in the Canvas code. The Canvas interface never shows that a trust relationship is present. Trusts can be established between multiple accounts.
The following behaviors do not apply to trust accounts:
- Trusts do not show any information in the UI/GUI indicating you in a trust with another school or that the course you are enrolled in is at another school.
- Trusts do not provide any data or a summation of which users are in a trust enrollment at another school.
- The Canvas interface does not show provided trust data. The trust is simply an invisible link that exists between two or more sites.
- User lists from one school cannot be browsed from another school. Admins from both schools will need to work out a business process to send enrollments from one school to the other.
- Trusts do not provide any automation for trust enrollments. Users are enrolled via CSV uploads or via the API.
- Users enrolled in courses at other schools are only able to see the name of the course they are enrolled in. They cannot view any information in the interface that shows the course is located at another school.
For questions about trust accounts, please contact your Customer Success Manager.
|A person with a login and user profile in at least one Canvas account. With multiple Canvas accounts, the person has a separate login and user profile for each account.|
|Merged User||A user with multiple Canvas accounts merged together to use one profile. For each Canvas account, the user’s login may be unified by a central authentication system or retained individually through Canvas authentication.|
|Login||A username and password tied to a specific Canvas account used for login credentials. A login must be unique to a user and is required to authenticate a specific Canvas account.|
|Trust Linnk||A virtual link between two Canvas accounts. The trust link goes in one direction from one canvas account to another. However, the interface does not indicate a trust is present.|
|Canvas Account||A Canvas configuration with a unique URL (i.e. institution.instructure.com). For the purpose of trusts, Canvas accounts do not refer to subaccounts.|
|Integration ID||A secondary identifier useful for more complex SIS integrations. An integration ID can be used for a user without affecting the user’s SIS ID.|
User Roles and Expectations
The tables below indicate intended behaviors regarding various activities and user roles for trust accounts.
- Creating a student in both accounts with the same integration ID does not generate a prompt to merge the student.
- When the student is merged within an individual account, neither account was made the home or deleted account.