Data and Analytics Group Discussions

Data and Analytics Group questions and discussion forum

Hey Community,I am currently working on a synchronisation of my own database, in which I make use of Canvas Data 2.Right now I am fetching their data, mapping their models to my models and filling my database with it. This is currently a migration of...

Community Explorer
Data and Analytics Group
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

I am trying out Canvas Data 2 in preparation for writing an ELT pipeline, and I noticed an issue with version 1.1.0 of the instructure-dap-client library. Whether I try to get data using the command line tool or the python library, I get errors about...

• 0 Likes
  • 17 Replies

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding some "time series-like" analytics for enrollments total_activity_time and active user counts? I'm conscious that CD2 is "eventual consistency" so time series analysis of things like weekly total_activ...

Community Participant
Data and Analytics Group
  • 1 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Hi all! I'm trying to identify a path forward for my institution to leverage the Canvas Data 2 API to obtain data around course level participation. From what I've gathered, it seems to have been possible in v1 of the API but I'm not immediately seei...

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

I know that you can only see and manage the keys that you generate within the Identity Services, so they must be associated to the user. But do they also inherit the Canvas User's status, roles, and permissions? Or, once generated, are they independe...

• 1 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Hi Instructure! Is there a way to access the time zone code for the user's set time zone? Example: Right now, a user can set their time zone in the LMS to  Eastern Time (US & Canada) (-06:00/-04:00)at /profile/settings.The time zone value for this us...

• 0 Likes
  • 7 Replies

I am being tasked with creating a Tableau dashboard that looks at New Analytics at a more global/course level scale. Does anyone know if there is a backend query that drives the New Analytics data that I could fork as way to improve my query? 

Community Member
Data and Analytics Group
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

I'm updating our init and sync code to reflect what is prescribed in the documentation's Instructions and I am receiving the following error when i run pip install           × Building wheel for tsv2py (pyproject.toml) did not run successfully. ...

• 0 Likes
  • 12 Replies

I need to find data from a course on the number of new enrollments in the course within a certain timeframe. Is there a report I can run that will give me that information? Thanks!

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hi, currently I am working on Canvas Data2 bulk data and I noticed that there is data related to which user has read the topics or replied posted by other users. Does anyone know by what action/criterion that the topic/reply is considered as read alr...

Community Member
Data and Analytics Group
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Hello, Using the CD2 API, what is the suggested way to get the Users from the User's List on UI?  I have tried using Users and Pseudonyms but I am receiving more results compared to my original logic on CD1.   Also, according to the documentation Use...

• 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Hello!I am new to developing with Canvas data and had two questions:1.  I saw a question from January about new quizzes and the response was that New quizzzes are not in the CD2 data.  Is that still the case?  For our own analytics we are pulling thi...

• 0 Likes
  • 10 Replies

Note: Relying on my DBA since some of this is a bit over my head. Our scheduled "dap syncdb" process keeps blowing up our CPU. Our DBA used an "explain plan" to see where our performance issue are. Below is the SQL running a loop while sorting throug...

Community Participant
Data and Analytics Group
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hello All, I'm hoping someone can help me understand something that I can seem to get my head around. I'm trying to see a list of a users page views past the last 100 entries. I have the following query entered through the URL /api/v1/users/xxx/page_...

• 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Just this morning 5/13, we began to sporadically receive the error below when running our table syncs. We have changed nothing on our servers. Has anyone else seen this?   ERROR - malformed HTTP response:<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 T...

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

I have a professor who teaches a course that runs from May to June, so not the full Summer term. When they go to New Analytics it shows that there is no new analytics. We waited the 24 hours like it said and there are submissions from students within...

• 1 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I was wondering if anyone has found a good way to find course pages (pages that are not directly associated with a learning module) in CD2? I was hoping that content_tags would have a way to do it with content_type and tag_type. So far the best route...

• 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

For assignments where the points_possible value is set to zero, I see that is a way to create an extra credit assignment.  Is there any other explanation for setting up an assignment that way? The reason I ask is that almost 10% of the assignments in...

• 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

A quiz in a course had it's due date changed from Feb 18th to March 30th.    The teacher insists that they didn't do it, and what I can see in PageViews corroborates this.    There are no other teachers or TA or designers in this course, so I suspect...

• 0 Likes
  • 5 Replies

I noticed as of this morning that the handy  [PUBLIC]: CD1 to CD2 schema mapping: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kqCXAD9K45L0QeEtbuuMAFp2fW8o0oC8EBzJf58SjrY/edit#gid=822574172 Has been moved to the owners trash (screenshot) Is there a more c...

• 0 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Hey all, CD2 has been a big pain implementing for my organization, once we finally got the DAP tool working now we have v1.1 out with this mandatory namespace issues now and a mountain of new errors.With this new 1.1 dap tool, has anyone received and...

• 0 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Hi All, I am trying to find where in Canvas Data2 tables can i determine the number of page views a student has on a particular course. I saw a few community page solutions that talks about utilising wiki_page_fact table > view counts seen in this li...

• 1 Likes
  • 1 Replies

I'll state up front that I may not understand the purpose of the OVERRIDDEN columns found in the assignment_overrides table.  However, given the documentation associated with the columns, then one or more of the values in the columns appear to be inc...

• 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Hi I'm looking for advice about working with web_logs and in particular how we might track students' usage through remote_ips. I'm currently maintaining a small server running MariaDB which uses the dap client to retrieve CD2 tables. Firstly - how fe...

• 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

From the PostgreSQL DDL script for the "assignments" table, the columns EXCLUDE_BIBLIO and  EXCLUDE_QUOTED have the same comment. Here's the comment:  Selecting this option will exclude text appearing in the bibliography, works cited, or references s...

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hi Folks!After running into the issue of no data being inserted after syncdb, I reinstalled everything, including python, DAP client, PostgreSQL and upgraded to tsv2py 0.6.2. That seemed to solve the issue of *no* data being inserted into my PostgreS...

• 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Has anybody that was using the Harvard Data 1 extract successfully converted it to use Data 2 and was it just changing the API data?

Community Novice
Data and Analytics Group
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

We are looking to download certain table data, transform it, and then upload to our Azure DataLake storage.The solution I have been working on involves a Python Azure Function app. Since the DAP parquet files have a "key", "value", and "meta" columns...

• 0 Likes
  • 6 Replies

Good morning folks!After updating to the new stable release of the DAP CLI tool, I was able to smooth out some existing issues which some of you have already experienced:TCI_KEEPIDLE issue was an OS/Python issue "Please use initdb" when trying to use...

• 0 Likes
  • 6 Replies

I'm trying to extract all clicks to a specific URL from web logs, with user ID-level detail. However, when filtering the logs to that URL, I noticed some users have multiple records (5-10) with timestamps only a few seconds apart. This suggests repea...

• 1 Likes
  • 3 Replies