Mark a Quiz as extra credit

(27)
Some of our instructors have the need to provide extra credit via a quiz.  Students would earn specific points based on their correct answer and receive extra points based on their score but it would not increase the course or assignment group total points. I envision this as a checkbox option in Quiz creation.  [] Mark this Quiz as extra credit.  Then it would behave in the manner described above.

Here is the old thread on this.  I could not find a new version here but maybe I am missing it.

Extra Credit Quiz : Help Center

An alternative to this would be to allow questions themselves to be marked as extra credit and that would allow the flexability to have specific questions within a Quiz or the whole quizzes set of questions marked as extra credit.

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

93 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@curtain ​ - Thanks for re-submitting this idea and giving it life in the new community.

In addition to this resource: How do I give my students extra credit?​ I am also copying the work-around that was suggested from the old thread you posted (since that link will eventually disappear after June 30).

Suggested by  @kona ​

The issue this feature request is referring to is that if students take a quiz in Canvas where the entire quiz should be counted as extra credit it is not easy. The following directions explain how the steps needed to make it happen:

• Create a quiz
  • Provide point values for each question. (making the quiz worth "X" amount of points - the total number of points the extra credit should be worth.)
  • Publish the quiz and have the students take it.
  • Once all students have taken a quiz and received a score, which is recorded in the gradebook.
  • Edit the Quiz and change the Quiz type to a Graded Survey worth "0" points. The number of points the students originally earned on the quiz will not change, the only thing you are changing is the type (Quiz to Survey) and the number of points possible (X points to 0 points)
  • The student will then receive whatever extra credit value they earned from the quiz.

IMPORTANT: When copying the course it will copy it as a survey - so be sure to Edit and revert it back to a graded quiz for the next semester!!

snugent
Community Champion

Our faculty request this option all the time. It is a much needed feature!

curtain
Community Participant

Yes, I used this very recommendation from  @kona ​ today with one of our Animal Science faculty and she was quite happy as she was convinced that there was no workable option. Admittedly, it is a pretty nutty work-around so I am confident that this request will get some traction.

Thanks  @kona ​ for already having it figured out and well and simply documented so I could just grab it and go!

Enjoying the new community as well.

kona
Community Champion

No problem, but I can't take full credit. I'm not sure where I heard the suggestion, it was on the old  community quite a while ago, but we played around until we got it to work the way we needed it to. Yes wonky, but at least an option for now!

rlk03
Community Explorer

Yes! Please add this. Quizzes that can be extra credit. And also, we would like to specify certain questions on a quiz as extra credit for that quiz. 

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Removing "Ability to" from the title of this idea to make it more easily sortable with similar ideas.

AJC17246
Community Explorer

I'd like to broaden the general suggestion from extra credit quizzes to extra credit assignments. Some instructors might want to be able to give extra credit for work that's not supported by the quiz format.

At the same time, I'd like to support the idea of having specific extra credit questions within quizzes.

DaleDrees
Community Champion

We get this feature request quite a bit on our campus.  Love to see it added.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hello Alistair,

Just FYI; there is a more general extra credit request under vote over at

ahoward
Instructure
Instructure

Great easily-implemented workaround solution suggested on this thread. 

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey Everyone! Allison Weiss and I are doing research about Extra Credit and have started a group. We'd love for you to join the group and give us your feedback on all the ways you would like Extra Credit to work in Canvas. We'll be updating this group with links and questionnaires and eventually some designs. Your feedback is really important to us and we want to hear from you!

kona
Community Champion

Deactivated user​, how do we join this group? I'd love to provide feedback on this feature idea!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure
cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks Scott! I forgot to post the link!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

No problem!  Just FYI; for anyone reading, the group is private but people can request to join.

bethany
Community Novice

As described at the top, a feature that would allow for quiz points to be extra credit is a much needed feature.

"Students would earn specific points based on their correct answer and receive extra points based on their score but it would not increase the course or assignment group total points. I envision this as a checkbox option in Quiz creation.  [] Mark this Quiz as extra credit. "

In addition, I've found I'd like to include extra credit items within a 'quiz' but cannot.  This would be a valuable option as well, though higher priority at this point would be extra credit quiz option as described above.

schutt_j
Community Novice

It's pretty clear that Canvas is designed for liberal arts teachers. It's pretty weak on "math" type things. This is evident from the emphasis on "weighting" grades instead of having options for point value grading. This is one of the many weaknesses of the program.

Canvas should not "consider" adding extra credit quizzes, they should have been there from its inception. Why is it not there? Why don't you have quizzes that add 0 points to the denominator but positive points to the numerator. It's not a difficult talk. Make it so. Yesterday.

hduck
Community Novice

Yes, I agree that an extra credit option should be available. However, I would also like the option for specific questions in a quiz and not the whole quiz itself. For instance, there would be an extra credit check box within the quiz question options. This would allow the instructor to set a point value for the question. If the student got all questions correct including the 2 point bonus question, the student would receive a score of 102. On the other hand, if another student got all the questions correct except for the bonus question, this student's grade would be a 100.

jamesjr
Community Novice

I've been using this option for a long time now, but today (for the first time) it resulted in a glitch and erased all my students' quiz scores. After an extensive conversation with Canvas support, I had to go back and manually re-enter all the quiz grades from the whole term. *facepalm*

lhughes
Community Participant

I agree that both the "whole quiz for extra credit" option and the "individual questions for extra credit" option would be helpful.  I have been using a "work around" so far for my extra credit quizzes, but a designated button that did the credit automatically would be better.