Allowing Export gradebook by section(s)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Reposting an old request that we made last year. Now that we have fully transitioned to Canvas. It is becoming increasingly clear that this is a feature that is needed in Canvas.

We have some very large classes in our university with a large amount of sections that we crosslist into one course such as 100/200 level Chemistry, Physics or Speech classes. Said course would have a series of instructor who are each responsible for their own sections. An instructor could be responsible for 4 sections totaling 200 students but would only like to export the grades and work on the students in section A (50ish students). That is not currently possible as exporting the gradebook export everyone in the sections you are assigned to at the very best and export everyone in all the section if the flag isn't set so that they can only see the students in their section.

When instructors select a specific section in their gradebook to view and Canvas shows them that section and its students in the gradebook. The expected behavior would be for the Export button to export the dataset that is being displayed at that point. Which is just that one section's gradebook. That is currently not possible.

To take this idea one step further, it would be ideal to allow instructors to check the section of the course that they would like to export. An instructor could check Section A, C, D and F out of Section A-G and only export those 4 sections to a csv file.

Rob Ditto mentioned on the last idea post that this used to be possible at one point. Hopefully this idea could be re-added.

35 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

85738_pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for any insight.

Your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers who you think would be supporters, as well.

curtain
Community Participant

This one has a lot of value as section level distinction is important with the cross-listing feature

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

johnpj
Community Contributor

The ability to export by section would be immensely helpful, especially in the process for preparing final grades. We have some courses that have 40+ sections, so this would have a huge amount of time for faculty.

admin_brake
Community Participant

This would be a huge help to instructors of crosslisted courses!

jjordan1
Community Contributor

I voted up, but also wanted to share some similar action asking for section-level exports:

https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/feature-ideas/content?filterID=contentstatus%5Bpubli...

I also just noticed that on the Admin grade export, if you have students from another Canvas instance/institution (via trusts), they are not there (they only show up in the Teacher-level gradebook export).  Not exactly related, but new within grade exports.

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is one of many granular controls that we would like to offer when we revamp the import/export of gradebook. Some other controls that I think might also be helpful to be able to make choices about when exporting/importing: Grading Periods, Grading Schemes, Totals (Assignment Groups, Current, Final), Assignments, Sort order, Students, Student IDs, etc.

This is a project that I'm currently researching. It won't go into development until the company decides it's the current top priority for the gradebook team to work on. I'll move this to "under consideration", because I believe we will do this at some point and archiving isn't quite the right status for it. When we get green lit for this project, I will update you here.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

rhayaki
Community Novice

Blackboard has this feature. (We switched from Blackboard to Canvas this year.) The exported CSV file would contain just the rows or columns that were being displayed in the Grade Center. The display could be restricted by section, to a single student, by assignment type, or in other ways you specified in a "SmartView". When I had two TAs, each responsible for four sections, the most useful SmartView was one that combined all four of a TA's sections. Each TA could display all and only their own students, and hitting "Export" would generate the right CSV file. (As far as I know, it wasn't possible to restrict both rows and columns at the same time --  e.g., to show just one section AND just one assignment type.) This feature was extremely useful and I miss it.

hfchen
Community Participant

They are working on more filter options on gradebook. Maybe we should talk about export there too.

https://community.canvaslms.com/community/instcon/2017/blog/2017/07/27/inserttitleofbriefing-3