cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

"UDOIT FAILED TO SCAN THIS COURSE"

Hi all, 

I posted this question elsewhere but thought perhaps it could have it's own thread. If I'm wrong go ahead and delete me. Anyways, I recently watched Canvas' accessibility video and was thrilled to learn about UDOIT. We have been using Sitemorse's snapshot which is unable to run in java so we were having to copy/paste HTML code and it was just a pain. 

However after going through and successfully deploying UDOIT to heroku I consistently get the same error: UDOIT failed to scan this course. 

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm unsure of where to go from here. It's really disappointing because there's just nothing else like this in Canvas and it sees like it is an incredibly powerful tool. 

61 Replies

Gosh it's so hard to say. Our large courses are huge. Both have embedded videos. Maybe embedded MP3 files? What kind of files have caused issues like this in the past? 

(Sorry for the delayed response, I could've sworn I clicked "Add Comment" two days ago.  Luckily Jive saves draft comments!)

We've had a few courses in the past where we had to run each section separately, but never where it just failed to scan.  You could try testing it out on more courses to see how widespread the issue is, which might also reveal a common denominator between them.  You can also clone an affected course and start removing pages until the scan completes, then investigate the contents of that page.

At the same time, we'll be investigating the best way to figure out exactly where an error or hangup occurs during the scanning process.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try to scan a clone of the first module and see what happens. I'll keep everyone updated with the results. 

Learner II

kevinw@financialmentors.org‌ and tr_jbates‌ Jacob was probably over hearing from me reporting issues we had getting UDOIT up on our server (NOT HEROKU). I gave up hope on using this tool on our server and moving towards pitching getting Heroku with our administration. I am not sure if I updated Jacob. But,  after one more attempt to troubleshoot it ended up being a permissions issue. Our guy blew away all the PERM and gave rights to all and then the scanner worked but then he re-locked the permissions down and still worked.  I am not sure if this helps. So, far there hasn't  been any issues and we are going on 15 days. 

kevinw@financialmentors.org‌ Did you have any luck with running it on a smaller amount of content?

Hi tr_jbates‌. This project has unfortunately taken it's place on the back burner for the time being. The short answer is "no" but the long answer is "I'm not finished yet". 

Surveyor

I am not sure if this is the right place for this question so please redirect me if need be. We have installed UDOIT and are loving it!  However, a faculty member just received an authentication error and is unable to access the tool. She is running a current browser edition and has all the same settings as I do and my instance works great. She has also authorized the app in Canvas and still is not able to see or use the tool. Any thoughts tr_jbates

jbuchholz@nnu.edu‌ One other institution has had this issue, but we weren't able to figure out what was going on.  Please have the faculty member try it out in different situations, like on campus, off campus, wifi, wired, chrome, firefox, IE.  You can also try masquerading as that user to see if it works or not.

tr_jbates‌ In this instance we narrowed it down to the cookies setting in the browser and once we loosened the restrictions, that seemed to help.  I will keep you posted on any other situations that come up.  Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate it.

Jesse

Surveyor

We get an error that UDoIT failed to scan this course, and get it when there are multiple pages. This course had 30 pages. That doesn't seem like it should fail scanning for only 30 pages.

What are your thoughts?

udoit error image