Auto Save Rubrics or Give Save Warning

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Several times, when grading with a rubric, I find that I have navigated away from the rubric without saving the marks. Is it possible to add a warning that the rubric markings have not been saved when I attempt to navigate away? I believe that sometimes this happens because I added comments at the bottom of the grading page, and only hit that "Submit" button, but not the Save button for the rubric. Perhaps that Submit button could take care of both the rubric and the comments? 

86 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2022-08-03)

a1063023
Community Explorer

Thanks for the update, this sounds like a good step forward. I am still worried about the failure mode of when you sit on a rubric marking page for a long time and then when you hit save all your work is lost because the connection has been lost between the page and Canvas. Hopefully that is fixed too... I guess we'll find out 🙂

JPoulsenWSC
Community Novice

I'm not sure what completed means, but I just lost my second rubric today after spending lots of time on it then not hitting save.  I would love to see this idea implemented.  It would save a lot of grief.

a1063023
Community Explorer

Despite Instructure claiming this to be addressed, I am still seeing problems in this area:

* Staff continue to confuse the "Save" vs "Submit" buttons and leave the page after hitting the Submit button thinking they're done (and frankly I think having both of those buttons in view is poor UX — I'm not surprised they're confused)

* Staff who are marking 100+ page reports have told me that after some period of time on the page their marks and rubric comments are lost. We shouldn't be expected to continually hit the Save button and re-enter the rubric just because we're marking a large report

We have little time in the grading period to reconcile and finalise marks. Every hiccup like this adds considerable friction and annoyance to this process.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed