Canvas Error Report - Send Broken Link errors to instructor

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
When students run into a broken link (e.g. link to file that has been deleted) they fill out the "oops!" error report, which is sent to me as a Canvas Administrator at our institution. I will then forward the error report to the course instructor. Wouldn't it be more helpful if there is a way for this type of error report to be sent immediately to the instructor?

I'm guessing there is metadata originated on the "oops!" page that would differentiate missing file errors from other types of error screens, so Canvas would know which type of error messages to send to instructors and admins vs. errors to send to admins only.

-or-

Perhaps there could be a prompt on the error screen asking the student if they ran into a broken link, and give them an option to message the instructor directly (an of course send this error message to the Canvas admin as well).

Bottom line - broken links to deleted files is not a system error. It's a user error, and thus it's more important for the instructor to know about it than a Canvas admin.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16250-canvas-release-notes-2019-03-30 .

23 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@anthonem  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @RobDitto  Thank You ,  @zachw  Thank You ,  @jaydsonnenburg  Thank You ,  @ejackson  Thank You , snugent Thank You ,  @kmeeusen  Thank You ,  @gschultz  Thank You , kevin.andreyo Thank You , &  @cfelton  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed