Course Format in SIS Import

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. April 6, 2016 - Wed. July 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

In light of the new option to allow courses to have a format of "Blended" (see https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-6332#jive_content_id_Course_Settings), it would be incredibly helpful for this course format field to be available as an option within the SIS Import format for the courses.csv file.  At the present time, this field can only be set through the GUI or through a separate API call to add this field to a course that already exists, but it cannot be set during course creation through the SIS Import process.  This feature request would allow this format flag to be set during course creation through the existing SIS Import process.

The SIS Import format could look something like this with options for on-campus, online, blended:

course_id,short_name,long_name,account_id,term_id,status,format,start_date,end_date

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-09-17)

27 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This feature idea has been reviewed by product and has moved into the Under Consideration stage. An idea may stay in the Under Consideration stage for 6-18 months before receiving an update and moving to another stage.  Make sure to follow this idea to receive updates as they are available.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-09-06)

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

I’m happy that the course_format can be defined in the SIS import.  However, I was hoping that course_format would appear in the relevant reports that are run via the GUI and not have to create a custom API.  This was mentioned in this discussion by  @straussi ,  @John_Lowe  and  @gschultz .

I just looked in Beta and ran the unpublished courses report. I didn’t see the course_format field there. I was hoping that it would be there. It would be very useful and a big time saver if I could run a report of all unpublished courses for a particular term and have the report include data so I could see if a course was online, on-campus, or blended.

Is there anything in the works to add the course_format field to the reports?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-09-17)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @John_Lowe  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @millerjm ​,  @straussi ​,  @gschultz ​, &  @Sylvia_Ami  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed