[Enrollments] Allow the self-enrollment option at the sub-account level

While or for-credit courses are not eligible for self-enrollment, we also have some Human Resources training courses, and other types of non-credit courses which would benefit from self-enrollment. On our campus, these are already in a separate sub-accounts, so having the ability to set this option at the sub-account level would be very helpful.

Added to Theme

14 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hello  @fosterl ​    

Thank you for coming and submitting this feature idea.  It will open for voting next Wednesday.  Please note that this idea was previously voted on but did not receive enough votes for it to advance to the next stage in the process: 

Maybe it will get more votes this time around.

Thanks again.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

admin_brake
Community Participant

At our university, we would want a sub-account where we could offer self-enrollment to a select set of courses only. This would provide better strategy for us rather than opening this tool up to All courses or all manual courses.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

A couple of years ago  @kenneth_larsen ​ and the team at USU's Center for Innovative Design and Instruction (CIDI) created a cool application for their university's prof dev courses.  A user goes to a web forms after authenticating.  There they choose from a collection of topics they want to take PD on and submit the form.  There is a Canvas course in the background for each topic.  Submitting the form triggers a process whereby the submitter is enrolled in a new course as a student, and the course for every topic they select is added, as well as adding an instructor/facilitator.  They did a conference presentation on it.  It was pretty neat, I thought.

travis_cox
Community Contributor

This would greatly support the use of PD opportunities in the same LMS, rather than needing to invest in alternative platform(s).

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Lindy:

Have you considered leveraging the Public Course Index and Terms for this purpose. We created a Professional Development term where we place these courses to make them easy to find by our Canvas Admin and support, then make them self-enroll and list them in the public Course Index.

Note: the Public Course Index is only public for your institution.

Learn more about how to list a course in the Public Course Index@How do I include a course in the Public Course Index?

And you can learn more about how to view listings in the Public Course Index @How do I view my institution's Public Course Index?

I hope this helps,

Agent K

susan_cornish
Community Novice

This feature would work well for us. At the moment we put courses for professional development in a single sub-account, but enrolment is still time consuming and discourages easy interaction with useful resources. In our previous LMS self enrolment was successful for this type of content, but the LMS was able to distinguish between staff and students.

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

Thank you  @kmeeusen ​. I just now discovered your post but this is very timely for me. I can see how using the Public Course Index would be a solution. However, I think my scenario is similar to  @fosterl ​.  I need users to be able to take graded quizzes. As I understand it, if a course is public, users can't take any graded quizzes/surveys (see Canvas Course Visibility Options PDF).

I see that this feature request is in the gathering info stage. Has anyone heard about recent updates to this feature request? Thank you to everyone for your great participation in this community. This is so helpful for me.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for taking the time to highlight this idea as a priority, and contribute valuable use cases for consideration.  This is something that we may dig into in the future, but not the near future.  We are going to archive this thread until there are new updates.  Please follow this idea to receive updates as they are made available.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...