[New Quizzes] Allow partial credit for fill-in-the-blank questions

This is a really helpful feature for language teachers, perhaps others. I've seen this suggested for multiple choice, but not for fill-ins.

I teach Spanish; we rely heavily on fill-in-the blanks. It would be nice if we could give partial credit for missing accent marks or tildes. For example, on a days of the week quiz, the student has to write miércoles in the blank:

93799_Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 2.18.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-08-28 at 2.18.00 PM.png

But what if I want to give half credit for "miercoles", with the missing accent mark? I know that several students will fail to put the accent mark. As it is now, my choices are to:

a) go through and hand-grade each of the question #1s, giving them half a point.

b) add miercoles (no accent) as an additional answer, for full credit (no language teacher would want to do this!)

c) take the all-or-nothing stance and not allow credit for missing accent marks.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to do this?

miércoles - 1 point

miercoles - .5            (or 50%)

As a language teacher, there are lots of times in which I'd like to offer partial credit, and I'm sure others could benefit from it as well. It's not unheard of in the world of learning platforms!

You could also do a predictable WRONG answer with this, giving 0% credit and giving a reason for it being wrong, if this capability were written in.

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

34 Comments
kelly_shields
Community Novice

I love this idea, and I found it by searching for a similar question. One of our instructors uses essay-based quizzes as an alternative to a short-essay paper, to ensure that students answer EVERY question and there is no worry about proper formatting. Each essay question is worth 10 points, but it would be great to award 5 points to an answer that almost gets there, but doesn't quite make the cut. The only solution I can think of is to have the instructor manually input each grade instead of just marking correct or incorrect.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea is now open for voting! 😉

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is a great idea, and I can see applications for other disciplines as well.

e01166
Community Novice

There was feature similar to this in Moodle. Another example of its usefulness would be in math and science classes where a teacher might want to give partial credit for an answer that does not include units. For instance, the correct answer might be:  25 meters. Some teachers might want to give partial credit for the answer 25.

This could also allow for multiple correct answers on fill in the blank. For instance, 3 kg, 3 kilograms, and 3000 grams could all be correct answers for a questions.

cwendt
Community Champion

Exactly! Or, you could give 100% for 25 meters, but 90% for 25 m. if you didn't want abbreviations.

silverthorn
Community Novice

I've been asking for this for two years. I use it for graded peer review. I can create a Likert-scale MCQ and assign points for the different answers. For example:

In doing the data analysis, my partner did

(A) more than I expected   [4 points]

(B) just what I expected  [3 points]

(C) less than I expected [2 points]

(D) much less than I expected [1 point]

(E) nothing [0 points]

When I download the spreadsheet with the numerical scores, it becomes a rapid way to total the peer review grade.

cwendt
Community Champion

I hadn't really thought of this, but it could be a way for students to peer grade, using some sort of rubric.

katharine_conab
Community Novice

Great idea. I do a LOT of hand-regrading to handle this exact point.

cwendt
Community Champion

Me too, Katharine. Please let others know!

cwendt
Community Champion

Almost there!!!!!!!!