New UI: Use pictures for courses

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I couldn't find anything like this in the discussions already, so I hope I'm not being redundant!

It would be great if we could upload images for each course on the homepage rather than just selecting colors. I love the new theme editor and it would great to have just one more level of customization on the course page.

Thanks!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)

39 Comments
ephraimross1
Community Contributor

Seriously. The dashboard is the first thing students will see, so from a usability perspective there is almost no part of the interface that is more important to get right. So weird how Canvas could get this part so wrong, and be disinclined to improve it. Heck, here is another simple implementation they could try that maintains all the core color card features while adding images:

course_card_gif2.png

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Update

Idea is currently under consideration

This feature idea has been reviewed by product and has moved into the Under Consideration stage. An idea may stay in the Under Consideration stage for 6-18 months before receiving an update and moving to another stage.  Make sure to follow this idea to receive updates as they are available.

ephraimross1
Community Contributor

Hi Renee,

I'm a bit confused by this update. Before we were told that this was in development, but wouldn't be worked on in the next 6-12 months. Now we're told that it's Under Consideration, where it will stay for 6-18 months before moving to another stage.

Is the update that this idea is being pushed further down on the priority stack?

ejackson
Community Champion

There are a lot of our instructors who would love to have this capability. In fact, I just heard from another one today asking about the possibility of doing this. I directed him to this thread and told him to post his comments and check for updates. I hope this is something that can be implemented soon.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @ephraimross1 ​

Sorry for the overlap of date/time frame here.  When McCall first used the timeframe of 6-12 months, she was referencing when a project like this would even begin to be looked at.  At that time, we actually archived this idea, because we knew it was something that would not be squeezed in.  Well, as usual, what we knew changed (for the better)!  One of our awesome engineers picked up this idea as a personal project for Hack Week. (you can read more about Hack Week in Ideas: State of the Union​).  At that time, we got to share the great news that this is currently under consideration and has the potential to be scoped within the next 6-18 months.

DaleDrees
Community Champion

Fantastic! Give that Engineer my points for dedicating his time to this proposal!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

You got it!  Smiley Happy

ephraimross1
Community Contributor

That's fantastic, thanks for the update!

jwillin
Community Contributor

Ben-Stiller-Do-It-Starsky-and-Hutch.gif

tdarrow
Community Contributor

Love the sample picture you turned out,  @ephraimross1 ​! This would be an amazing win with our students if we could personalize the dashboard more.