Option to exclude Assignments from Syllabus

It would be good to have an option to exclude the Assignments Summary from the Syllabus page.  Many faculty wish to only have the Syllabus with a course description, lecture schedule, grading, and other policies.  Now if you have any assignments they are automatically put on the Syllabus page - this should be an option only.  Why have an Assignments page if you force a link also on the Syllabus page.  Other ideas describe how some faculty like the assignments on the Syllabus page, so it should be simply kept as an option.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-18528-canvas-release-notes-2020-03-21 

82 Comments
curt_pavia
Community Novice

Yes on this idea!

Another thread suggested just making a separate Content Page as the Syllabus...a good idea for many. However, we want our syllabi available to the public and use the feature in the Settings to do so. But we don't want to show the assignment/calendar list and dates. So an option to hide would be perfect! Make it so! (please Smiley Happy)

JACOBSEN_C
Community Contributor

This would be a good option to have.

sdavick
Community Contributor

I would find it very helpful to be able to choose which assignments show up in the syllabus. As it works now my assignments that do not have a due date are all listed at the bottom of the page and it doesn't look nice at all. I have some assignments I want to list and other assignments I would like to leave unlisted.241804_Capture_Syllabus.JPG

mouldera
Community Participant

<sigh> I would loved to have this happen sooner rather than later since we have moved to competency-based education. Having no due dates on assignments makes the syllabus tool rather mess and useless. We just resorted hiding it as no one can use it in its current state. Is it that hard to put in a simple On/Off toggle? 

emily_coklan
Community Explorer

Our district requires teachers to use the Syllabus tab, and also recommends that teachers copy course content from one school year to the next.  Many teachers do not want students seeing an entire year's worth of work listed on the Syllabus Assignment summary, and the only recourse they have to fully remove it is to unpublish the assignments TEDIOUSLY one at a time (notably there is also no option to unpublish all assignments quickly, nor is there an option to unpublish all when importing/copying content from one course to another either!).

A simple "Show Assignment Summary/Hide Assignment Summary" toggle switch would make a WORLD of difference!

ssimpso4
Community Contributor

I'll chime in with my thoughts. Having additional settings for the Syllabus would be extremely beneficial for a number of reasons, many of which of have well-described in related feature ideas, including:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/6832 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8520 

Beginning next year in our district, a teacher who chooses to have a classroom-level website will have to utilize their Canvas Syllabus for this purpose (publicly visible) and we really need our users to have greater options for how they utilize (or not utilize) the Details section of the Syllabus UI. If nothing else, a setting should exist that would allow the Details list to be hidden/removed from the Syllabus, if desired.

snugent
Community Champion

This would be awesome to have this feature. A lot of our faculty don't want to use the syllabus tool in Canvas because of the assignment list. Here are some common issues with it. 

Events - This isn't a big problem now but when we first moved to Canvas this was a huge issue. People were importing their courses from the other LMS that have several events from the calendar. Faculty would be confused why all these events were showing up in their syllabus list. Faculty either have to go to the calendar to edit the events and they can only do this one by one which is extremely tedious. 

Icon confusion - All assignments regardless of type display as document icon. It would be nice to have icon consistency across Canvas. 

Publish/Unpublish - For instructors ALL assignments display regardless of publish status. This is very confusing for them. 

No option for sorting or editing - This would be very helpful. 

jew21
Community Novice

Presently having the disjointed, disorganized mess at the bottom of the Syllabus page as a "SUMMARY" is a really distasteful feature. It totally confuses students and frustrates them even when they know it is to be "ignored" as nonsense! Poor way to promote software to students who will be choosing what to use in their classrooms in the future!

dspiel
Community Participant

An addition to excluding items from the calendar would also be if you hide the Assignment tab from students in the navigation and use Modules as your basis for giving your content then only those items even if marked as published under Assignments only those within the modules show up on the calendar.

gerlach_matthew
Community Novice

I really like several of the options in the comments, as well as the original idea. I just hid both the syllabus button and the home button in order to get rid of all the assignments I don't want showing up along with the syllabus. I put the syllabus in a preliminary module (before module 1), but I don't really like doing this.