Order Discussion Posts from Newest to Oldest

Currently, the discussion posts are ordered from oldest to newest.  A student/professor has to scroll or go to the last page and then scroll to get to the latest post.

Canvas REALLY needs to re-order this so that newest discussion posts appear at the top of the first page so that it is easy to find current conversations.

This topic had 100+ likes in the old community and I was really surprised not to see it on here already (I searched for this using several different search terms).   I sure hope we don't have to go through and re-idea every single feature request that had at least 30 likes and was years old with no action or response from Instructure.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

140 Comments
Bobby2
Community Champion

Brilliant idea  @canvas_admin 

cjm38
Community Novice

I'd like to see this as an option. There are times when either would be the right choice. The current model is cumbersome for large, active discussions and I don't think Canvas wants to be in a position to discourage participation.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

I'm surprised that this simple sorting feature hasn't been incorporated long ago. Does it need to be voted up into the 600-800 votes like the https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7532-allow-folders-in-pages  idea?

kbeachy
Community Novice

I don't mean to be a problem, but i just don't want to pin all of my discussions just so that I can sort them.  

kbeachy
Community Novice

I am sorry, Scott, I have lots of discussions, and I just do not want to have to pin them all just so I can sort them.  Thanks so much, though. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

fullman
Community Novice

Please, please add this option.

Community Novice

This option should have been part of the design from the beginning. A no brainer. First week of using Canvas and already very frustrated with all the scrolling down. Another feature that would be highly useful would be to enable the search box to bring up all posts containing that word. 

esommer
Community Novice

This is has been need for years and we are still requesting it! It defies common sense that the posts can ONLY be ordered oldest to newest. I get it, students should read all the posts. But let's give credit for those who do, but want to check in on the latest posts--which includes the instructors. I can't really think of any reason why Canvas has not added this really simple feature. It's what computers and software are good at: sorting! Can you please make this a priority?

esommer
Community Novice

Well, I agree. But in light of the utter silence from the programmers about sorting options, at least this something for the short run.