[Scheduler] Scheduler recurring events

I should be able to use the scheduler to set up appointment slots for office hours for one week and then have an option for Canvas to automatically create the same schedule on subsequent weeks.

Added to Theme

87 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

@abbate , I love your idea of copying an existing appointment group to help build a new one!  If you decide to submit a separate Feature Idea for it, you might use this successful one as a model:

jtrattner
Community Novice

Yes please!  This would be such an awesome addition to the Calendar

lbrem
Community Novice

We also get lots of requests for the ability to export or print out a list of people who have signed up for appointment slots.  Is that something that could be added on here?

ewakeman
Community Novice
Author

I would recommend not trying to add it on. Canvas prefers separate requests. Let me know if you put it up though, I will vote for it.

Community Novice

Yes, please add a reoccurring calendar set-up function to add multiple weekly appointments with one click rather than having to set up each individual one.  It would also be great to have a "random" reoccurring function to set-up and add individual dates to the calendar - this would be useful for setting up multiple appointments or meetings that meet over a period of time and not on the same day of the week.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Reoccurring Scheduler Events would be very helpful for teachers who offer consistent office hours for tutoring. With the addition of scheduler comments (Canvas Beta Release Notes 2015-09-28)​, teachers would be able to spend less time creating time-slots for students and more time with students. I hope to see this idea move forward.

RobDitto
Community Champion

@lbrem ​, appointment signup printing is up for a vote currently:

lbrem
Community Novice

Thanks ! I voted!

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I love the idea of making the scheduler tool more robust, though I haven't had a chance yet to look at all of the scheduler requests in aggregate to know how important this would be relative to the other ideas. I will comment again on this thread once I have more information. If there's anyone on this thread who would be willing to set up an interview with me about the scheduler, please reach out to me directly. I'm anxious to learn more. Thanks!

ewakeman
Community Novice
Author

I would be happy to talk to you by phone. I use scheduler and am often frustrated by how almost-useful it is.

The changes I would like to see are:

First: reoccurring (or copy and edit) appointment groups. I have the same office hours every week for fifteen weeks. Once I enter one week I should be able to copy it to other weeks. This seems to me to be the highest priority.

Second: easy access to appointment information. I should be able to use the Canvas App on my phone, the calendar in Outlook (to which my regular Calendar information is being shared), and the calendar in Canvas to see WHO is coming WHEN. I should be able to print off the schedule for the day or week. (Note: at present I can see in the Canvas Calendar only that there is an appointment at a certain time. If I want to see who is coming, and what comment, if any, the student has left, I have to click on the appointment.)

Third: do not allow students to sign up for appointments in the past. They don't do this on purpose of course, but they should not be able to do it accidentally.

Fourth: helpful notifications. New and cancelled appointments are one of the very few things for which I have asked to get immediate text messages. The messages that I get however are NOT helpful. I learn that John Smith has made or cancelled an appointment, but not whether that appointment is/was today or next month.

Fifth: Not so important but certainly annoying is that when you go to the Scheduler and look at the list of appointment groups the most recently created groups are at the bottom of the page. The more you use the tool the more frustrating this is. I really don't need to edit the appointment group from last year. I can delete them, but the dialog box that pops up suggests that all the students who signed up for it will get a note telling them that their appointment from last year has been cancelled. For this reason I am been hesitant to delete groups.