[SpeedGrader] Add a Way to Group Comments in the Comment Library

The comment library feature is being used by faculty at my institution; however, as the number of comments continue to increase in the library, managing them becomes more difficult with no way of grouping or categorizing them by assignment (for example). We're suggesting that Canvas update the feature to include a tool that allows the instructor to organize the comments (similar to Studio and Collections). Thank you.

Added to Theme

26 Comments
AlyxLyons
Community Novice

Love the idea of a comment bank, but it's currently unusable. Until there is a way to organize and sort the comments, it wastes more time for users to scroll through the (unending) list of comments to find the appropriate choice.

Right now, it's faster to type comments multiple times than to use the comment bank. The solution seems easy: organization. Some kind of folder or categories to keep the comments tidy and accessible would make this an outstanding feature instead of a cumbersome one.

jasmor
Community Explorer

I am encouraged that this idea has thirty 5 star ratings and I hope it gets the attention from Canvas that it deserves. I second AlyxLyon's comment as well as many others: organization is the answer!

Thank you in advance, Canvas team for your prompt response to this.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

blambe11
Community Member
Problem statement:

Comment library is fantastic but unmanageable across multiple courses, assignments, and quizzes. Providing students detailed, but common feedback for assignments and quizzes, for multiple courses adds to the comments library quickly. Without the the ability to filter by course and specific assessment, the library becomes virtually unusable by halfway through the semester due to it's size.

Proposed solution:

Enable grouping or tagging so that the instructor can organize comments by course, type of assessment (assignment or quiz), and specific assessment. The ability to tag by course would need to go across all the instructors' courses so that comments would be available for all sections of that course, and the same course in separate semesters. Thanks

User role(s):

instructor

CarmenMise
Community Member
Problem statement:

The number and amount of comments continue to increase in the comment library. Managing them becomes more difficult with no way of grouping or categorizing them content or concept. For example, all Grammar in one group.

Proposed solution:

We're suggesting that Canvas update the feature to include a tool that allows the instructor to organize the comments by categories. Thank you.

User role(s):

instructor,ta