[SpeedGrader] Screen Capture with Audio as a Comment Option

I grade a lot of essays, but I believe this feature might be valuable for other disciplines as well.

Canvas currently has the ability to post comments in video (webcam) or audio form--though, the flash programs for these seem to be hit or miss for me.

For essay feedback, I want to be able to communicate what I'm seeing in a student's essay, but I don't necessarily need them to see my face. Far more valuable to me is to be able to point to aspects of the essay or assignment while I'm talking and to have the student see those specific aspects while they are hearing my comments.

I do this now using Camtasia. I open speedgrader and begin recording a screen capture with audio. I then have to save the file and upload it to Canvas using the media comment video upload option.

This works, but it is a bit clunky. My speed at grading would be greatly increased if I could press a button and simply begin recording the screen.

Again, I know the benefit of this with essays, but my guess is that it could be of benefit to almost any discipline. If an instructor is taking the time to record a comment of any sort, it is probably a comment that has something to do with the digital object that is right on the screen. The added benefit would be that if the recorder is capturing the screen and not just the current window, an instructor could use the video as a digital whiteboard. I can imagine a math instructor giving a just in time KhanAcademy style explanation for a problem on which a particular student seems to be having difficulties.

Since I have an android tablet with a stylus, if this could be incorporated into the android speedgrader app, that would be some wicked awesome future s%&t!!!

73 Comments
tschmidtke
Community Member

Right now the audio/video feedback option is useless.  It is pointless to just give a video feedback of my face. Our teaching staff want to be able to walk students through their work and highlight what is working and what can be improved.  Currently we are using Screencastify but as is already mentioned, it takes time and space to record all the feedback and then to upload to Canvas.  Having the feedback work so that you can use the highlighting tools while talking through student work would be extremely valuable.  Screencast-o-matic has an excellent user-friendly interface and it would be amazing to see Canvas use something simular.

gemma_sinclair
Community Participant

Did this get delivered?

anne_turner
Community Novice

Please! This tool would be exceptional for leaving feedback on student essays. 

jayde_colquhoun
Instructure
Instructure

Great idea and would greatly benefit our university. I would also agree that captions need to be considered! 

This was slated as a Khaki item for 2018 an announced as a bonus item to be released after InstructureCon 2018! Whatever happened to it? 

Khaki 2018 Update  (Item 12)

Bonus (Delivered after InstCon 2018)

1. Admin Role Granular Permissions part 2—breaking out create/edit/delete permissions (to be added permission by permission)
3. Student Feedback View
4. Advanced Reports
7. Rich Content Editor: File/Image Drag & Drop - Canvas Release Notes (2018-11-17)
9. Commons: Preview Activities and Content
12. SpeedGrader Screen Recorder

Eman-Rashwan
Community Explorer

It has been requested several times in our university too. It will be very powerful, rather than cam recording which is very teacher-centred. 

singh
Community Novice

I would also like screen share with video feedback!

Jeff_F
Community Champion

Perhaps this will come to fruition via Studio which has a screen recording tool built in. 

Here is to hope.   

candle

shoaib_ali
Community Novice

Just posted a similar idea here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/16977-we-want-to-add-voiceaudio-comments-on-a-document?et=noti... 

Similar cause. Votes appreciated.

LeneW-P
Community Participant

I just opened a feature request asking for Studio to be enabled in Speedgrader. It was added as a companion to this feature request. Let's all go vote that one up, too: Use Studio to Create Feedback in Speedgrader

gramos
Community Participant

I've been using VoiceThread for this. VoiceThread allows commenting on various media types (pictures, pdfs, movies, etc.) by both students and instructors. The comments can be videos, text, audio & you can annotate on whatever media is there as you comment.  (It's not free, but check if your institution district has a license. I didn't know we had one!).